Good dogs bad owners

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

I was guilty of these things in my.younger days dominating dogs standing over them my wife said to me one day what da fck you doing you don't do that this is the way and showed me the right way But saying all that it can go all pear shape 

Ffs

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great replies lads? I USED to be, real heavy handed with my lurchers,...I learned this from my Father and his old man... They both took in, cur dogs for training, to work the sheep and cattl

I took on a 15 month rescue working type Collie Bitch. I could see great potential in her but she was crapping in the house every night and when I came in the room it was painful to see her trying to

The skill is in assessing the temperament of the dog you have in front of you. Different treatment for different dogs. Too hard and you can ruin a soft dog. Too soft with a hard dog and you have a lia

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Black neck said:

When it comes 2 good wives one must be mindful of being in 2 much of a rush to enter them ? 

Ffs I'm handing mesen in ?

Be careful Blacky your going down the wrong road here or I'll have to tell your Husband llf.lol 

This is why I find dogs so amazing and love to work with them, I have done field trails with labs trained god knows how many labs as Gundogs and I admit I have been a c**t at times and it’s no excuse but it’s what I had learnt from the so called best trainers in the world but the more people u train with the more different ways u find of teaching a dog what u want it to do, but all the bollockings the dogs have had they still want to please me which looking back makes me feel even more like a c**t, the dog that gave me the biggest lesson and taught me a life’s lesson was a Saluki x whippet and I’ve still got the old boy u til this day, I owe that dog so much and will never forget him when he’s gone, he was by far the dog of a life time because he was defiantly not that but he’s a dog that’s had the biggest impact on how I respect and train my dogs going forward or maybe it’s just my ages and not constantly looking for a world beater, either way I enjoy my dogs and they are the reason I go to work every day, An old boy once said to me that a dog is just a part of ur life but for them you are their whole life ?

• Like 8

There’s dogmen, and there’s men with dogs. 

IMO the minute you have to lift a hand to them you’ve already lost.

Your dominance and physical presence should be enough to install any message you want to get across. 

Putting hands on a headstrong dog is a totally different thing to a beating, the latter being unacceptable in any circumstance. 

When training a youngster always finish on a high. 

• Like 4

I have no clue of training dogs. One I had when young seemed to be hunting trained and that was all I needed. They came back when called. Never killed sheep and over all were a pleasure to own. Was out of hunting for good few years ( regretfully) then and just had a couple of house dogs. Decided to get back into things thankfully and got the bull cross. I remember worrying will this dog hunt mmmm ? 

From day one we got off on the wrong foot and this picture that I have posted a few times sums up our relationship.

pid.jpg.a6e9265f56dcf84f66f730f89d50522f.jpg

He thinks I am tw@t I think his a tw@t lol We locked horns and life was more of a dual and he constantly seemed to want to rule the roost. All my fault in better hands he could be top notch I am sure or put down by 12 months who knows
But he could been best dog I ever had if I handled him right I reckon. 
He has taught me loads though mostly what not to do.
On the plus side his got a good home for life when in the wrong or right hands depending on your thing he could have had a much different going on

So lesson learnt the next pup will be bond bond bond 

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, terryd said:

I have no clue of training dogs. One I had when young seemed to be hunting trained and that was all I needed. They came back when called. Never killed sheep and over all were a pleasure to own. Was out of hunting for good few years ( regretfully) then and just had a couple of house dogs. Decided to get back into things thankfully and got the bull cross. I remember worrying with this dog hunt mmmm ? 

From day one we got off on the wrong foot and this picture that I have posted a few times sums up our relationship.

pid.jpg.a6e9265f56dcf84f66f730f89d50522f.jpg

He thinks I am tw@t I think his a tw@t lol We locked horns and life was more of a dual and he constantly seemed to want to rule the roost. All my fault in better hands he could be top notch I am sure or put down by 12 months who knows
But he could been best dog I ever had if I handled him right I reckon. 
He has taught me loads though mostly what not to do. So lesson learnt the next pup will be bond bond bond 

I can relate completely, my Hancock was super twat , and so were my dog skills , when you're used to different breeds it throws a curve ball and fucks your life up a bit ?, I love the bitch I got now , we've had a couple of emotional moments but I accept her faults are mine and we've a great bond. Less pressure on , I set the bar lower and she excelled my expectations. She's easy to live with, at seven is learning to play with other dogs without using teeth. It's a rewarding thing having her, great with family, great on lamp, alongside the bike. I wish I had more time to give her full potential, but that's life and we enjoy what we can....if I won the lottery I'd breed from her and test her whelps but as it is I'll get her half fit and occasionally exercise the local beasties lol.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

have been a c**t at times and it’s no excuse but it’s what I had learnt from the so called best trainers in the world

From what I have been told the top gun dog lads are cruel cnuts a well known lad with multiple field trial champions and winners  in his line being one of the worst 

• Like 1

I have a lab pup 11 weeks shes by far the sharpest pup I have ever  owned back in the day I may have been to hard on my dogs but never cruel .but looking back it wasn't them at fault it was me expecting to much  maybe at times to soon but not knowing or realising my faults that was my fault .I learnt the ways I learnt by the old school didn't always favour a dog or myself but it did take a while and age to realise it 

You never get the best out of a juk by shouting and pulling or hitting it but the opposite, ive seen men kick and beat dogs for no other reason than it was barking and these are the kind that should never own a golf fish never mind a dog, 

If keeping a dog/dog's isn't fun then you really in the wrong game .

• Like 1