Good dogs bad owners

What you also have to take into consideration is memory short memory in a dog is as little as 70 seconds to 2 minutes .but long term is a life time so if a dog is constantly chastised physically it will never forget it and basically ruin the dog . Were its pointless reprimanding a dog for bad behaviour unless you catch it almost immediately. As the dog won't know what it's done wrong if shouted at scowled at or told off 10 minutes later . Certainly would never consider or condone physical punishment as to me you have lost the battle straight away if you resort to this .

• Like 3

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great replies lads? I USED to be, real heavy handed with my lurchers,...I learned this from my Father and his old man... They both took in, cur dogs for training, to work the sheep and cattl

I took on a 15 month rescue working type Collie Bitch. I could see great potential in her but she was crapping in the house every night and when I came in the room it was painful to see her trying to

The skill is in assessing the temperament of the dog you have in front of you. Different treatment for different dogs. Too hard and you can ruin a soft dog. Too soft with a hard dog and you have a lia

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, gasaxeman said:

What you also have to take into consideration is memory short memory in a dog is as little as 70 seconds to 2 minutes .but long term is a life time so if a dog is constantly chastised physically it will never forget it and basically ruin the dog . Were its pointless reprimanding a dog for bad behaviour unless you catch it almost immediately. As the dog won't know what it's done wrong if shouted at scowled at or told off 10 minutes later . Certainly would never consider or condone physical punishment as to me you have lost the battle straight away if you resort to this .

Yes I was beaten on the regular and I've turned out very strange 

And though i can't/don't come close to Old Phil's post, IMO I can only give my two penneth worth....

Though I've had near 50 years with lurchers, my 'training' in the begining was total bollox... I ran pastoral bred dogs, BUT simply relied on recall, and dogs not 'fecking off' with their catch...  Oh, it just wasn't good enough...?

Then i got them big half cross bull bred thingys and, 'foolishly' i ruled them with a rod of iron. Thought I 'should' do. 

Thing was, in my ignorance, they were the easiest most biddable things I've tried to train. And 25 years later I know that was a crying shame... Those dogs would have ran through fire for me, the most loyal mutts I've ever owned, and i tried to stifle that 'instinct' so many times over....  Crass amature that I was... 

Fast forward to now, and with a few more lurchers under my belt,  I'm not so much of the 'aim and fire' merchant as I once was, and with one of them 'thicko' desert breds to bring on, life could be tough...

But ya know what, with age might have come a little wisdom. For I've not 'drilled' my training but rather 'let it be'... Basic, recall, retrieve etc FUN, FUN, FUN....

All I could of hammered home, BUT I'm older, (wiser) and I'd like think better, than that bloke with those half crosses back in the day...

Recall, recall, recall. Manners with food, social, children, recall again etc, ALL a must, but FFS bond, enjoy, appreciate, just what is running through your fingers...

Teach your charge the basics, BUT always do your upmost to try and let natural instinct shine through....

NOTHING taught can beat it, natural instinct is all you can give to make the best shine through...

Please, try it.... ?

21 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

And though i can't/don't come close to Old Phil's post, IMO I can only give my two penneth worth....

Though I've had near 50 years with lurchers, my 'training' in the begining was total bollox... I ran pastoral bred dogs, BUT simply relied on recall, and dogs not 'fecking off' with their catch...  Oh, it just wasn't good enough...?

Then i got them big half cross bull bred thingys and, 'foolishly' i ruled them with a rod of iron. Thought I 'should' do. 

Thing was, in my ignorance, they were the easiest most biddable things I've tried to train. And 25 years later I know that was a crying shame... Those dogs would have ran through fire for me, the most loyal mutts I've ever owned, and i tried to stifle that 'instinct' so many times over....  Crass amature that I was... 

Fast forward to now, and with a few more lurchers under my belt,  I'm not so much of the 'aim and fire' merchant as I once was, and with one of them 'thicko' desert breds to bring on, life could be tough...

But ya know what, with age might have come a little wisdom. For I've not 'drilled' my training but rather 'let it be'... Basic, recall, retrieve etc FUN, FUN, FUN....

All I could of hammered home, BUT I'm older, (wiser) and I'd like think better, than that bloke with those half crosses back in the day...

Recall, recall, recall. Manners with food, social, children, recall again etc, ALL a must, but FFS bond, enjoy, appreciate, just what is running through your fingers...

Teach your charge the basics, BUT always do your upmost to try and let natural instinct shine through....

NOTHING taught can beat it, natural instinct is all you can give to make the best shine through...

Please, try it.... ?

Excellent ?

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Please, try it.... ?

some good points bosun i need a hunting companion not a dog does everything i say 

the type i keep i’m happy if they stock broken and recall is ok ? 

the easiest way to get that is to let it be what is already inside just bring it out let it do what it loves and the bond will be un breakable you won’t need to call it it will just follow you looking up at you 

the odd time they do need correcting i wouldn’t go further than a scruff give it a little shake 

at times they will be ignorant hunt up it’s no good hitting them loosing your rag just enjoy what you have ?

• Like 1

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said something along the lines of "violence begins where knowledge ends." 

I was quite fortunate in that my dad was violent towards dogs which subsequently showed me how NOT to do it. I say fortunate because he was just as violent and bullying towards my mum and my brother and I, so I learnt early on to be the opposite. I've spent most of my life being told I'm too soft but I'd rather that than be like him.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said something along the lines of "violence begins where knowledge ends." 

I was quite fortunate in that my dad was violent towards dogs which subsequently showed me how NOT to do it. I say fortunate because he was just as violent and bullying towards my mum and my brother and I, so I learnt early on to be the opposite. I've spent most of my life being told I'm too soft but I'd rather that than be like him.

Aye, psychological scars are the hardest to heal.

• Like 1

I think that all of us over a 'certain' age were brought up believing that you had to dominate a dog, both physically and mentally. It's so good to read all these posts where people have realised that the old, hard ways don't actually produce the team mate and companion we appreciate. I know I've come to appreciate my lurchers so much more. Accepting what they are, their different instincts and traits, depending on what is in their breeding, and working to channel those traits rather than just trying to change the dog into the thing we think it should be, is so rewarding. The bond, the feeling that you're both in the same pack, on the same side: there's nothing quite like that feeling of deep satisfaction you get when your dog trusts you to be its further eyes, when it has the nose and the ears.

I never forget learning that my dog couldn't see a hare which I could see plainly: obviously, it was because the dog was lower to the ground: doh! But when you start out you don't realise these little things. But when your dog trusts you to point out something, then goes out to where you are, catches and brings back with a smile in its eyes and a wagging tail: that's what makes this interspecies thing so magical. And you never get that with an animal that has been dominated and screwed into the ground. 

• Like 10

I was guilty of these things in my.younger days dominating dogs standing over them my wife said to me one day what da fck you doing you don't do that this is the way and showed me the right way But saying all that it can go all pear shape 

4 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

I was guilty of these things in my.younger days dominating dogs standing over them my wife said to me one day what da fck you doing you don't do that this is the way and showed me the right way But saying all that it can go all pear shape 

She help me with that bitch at the end she could of talked to you as to speak I thought it was on trainable she done it the gentle way 

20200121_131804.jpg

I think the dominant, determined hunting dogs push their owners patience the most but these are often the best workers, highly driven and independent. You can't bully these animals but if you work with them they usually turn into legends you always remember.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Please, try it.... ?

Great Post lar

• Like 1