Unusual dog breed nowadays.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ex Mrs's family had Lancashire heelers. First time I met her mum I picked one up, had it under my arm stroking it, like you do I just tipped it forward and dropped it expecting it to jump to the fl

Found a couple 

Just been chatting to my mate in the UK, he has just got an Otter Hound in the boarding kennel, the first one he has ever seen, there's less Otter hound left in the world than there are giant panda in

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Wolfhound?

Yes mate and it was in fine condition I was impressed best one I’ve seen, it was moving well hunting away naturally on the heather by its self 

98B540D4-4C11-4D03-8E6E-6D875747CD81.jpeg

Edited by scotty12
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, scotty12 said:

Yes mate and it was in fine condition I was impressed best one I’ve seen, it was moving well hunting away naturally on the heather by its self 

Hunting ??? That's a first in a few hundred years lol

I occasionally see or read a lament by champions of rare breeds, often the British or Irish KC terriers, bemoaning the fact that "their" dogs, our native breeds, are dying out but people cannot get enough of cross breeds and foreign imports. 2 things spring to mind.

1, the prices that they charge. Even before the Covid induced crazy increase in prices for all dogs to feed/take advantage of the market for peoples strange desire to suddenly want to own a dog the breeders of these sorts of terriers were asking several £1000 a pup. These people are supposedly passionate about keeping their beloved breeds going but only at a price. This is not sour grapes from me, if I wanted 1 of those sorts of dogs I would accept the price and save up and pay it. But what are you paying for? Which brings me to 2nd point.

Most of the KC terrier breeds are now the result of over a 100+ years of selective breeding, selective breeding to often initially poorly worded breed standards that have been even more misinterpreted over the years. As a result we have terriers such as the Fox Terrier with long weak heads, short backs, chest too deep, stifle too straight, shoulders too upright etc etc. Resulting in an animal that just looks odd, not quite correct. Even dog owners who have no interest in owning a dog for any other reason than having a healthy, happy pet for the family I believe have the same inherent ability to sense what is right and what is wrong by the evidence of their eyes. An ability that breeders of many KC registered breeds appear to have lost or never had.

KC Fox Terrier on the right, the terrier type that they started with on the left below. The type on the left has always been more popular than the type on the right.

P1000121 (2).JPG

fox terrier 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, scotty12 said:

Nice looking hound. If a KC Wolfhound probably owes its class to Deerhound blood in the breeding. Basically deerhrounds with Great Dane added to get the size up when recreated in late 19th century.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jigsaw said:

Hunting ??? That's a first in a few hundred years lol

It’s just a pet, from what I seen it had the potential to be brought on and that’s a totally different matter all together if it could or not …. Was just nice to see one that could actually move half decent for a change 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Nice looking hound. If a KC Wolfhound probably owes its class to Deerhound blood in the breeding. Basically deerhrounds with Great Dane added to get the size up when recreated in late 19th century.

Not sure mate just bumped into them on the hill , women was from England and purchased it from there then moved to Scotland , it’s only 18 months old or something 

3 minutes ago, scotty12 said:

Not sure mate just bumped into them on the hill , women was from England and purchased it from there then moved to Scotland , it’s only 18 months old or something 

It may well be a Wolfhound, not questioning it. Sometimes these KC breeds revert back to type when breeders who don't really know what they are doing in regard to selectively breeding for the exaggerated points mate a random dog to a random bitch for several generations. Seen some nice looking Staffords re-emerge that way. Thank you for sharing the photographs of a very nice looking dog in beautiful country.

• Like 1
On 13/07/2022 at 14:28, Neal said:

I read somewhere that they've got great noses...a bit like a gundog in a sighthound's body.

Pharaoh Hound= fast  , barky idiots.

Manic hunters of anything that moved , including blue tits on the wing . Well the ones l've had the misfortune to have anything to do were. And,er, ahem   "unamenable to close control ."

I have scars on my hand from the time one of the stupid hounds goaded a well behaved alsation into a fight . The Pharaoh hound missed the Alsation and ripped my hand. And kept ripping  it.

The Alsation missed the hound  , and its teeth hit the bone in my arm. It immediately realised it had made a mistake and let go  but l still have the scars

Not too keen on Pharaoh Hounds ?

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 09/07/2022 at 21:41, Bush Rummager said:

Old one of me here... guessing about '87 ish. Trusty old school lab and an Italian Spinone. I don't think there were many Spinone's in the country back then. Stiil hardly see any now but when i have they seem big cloddy overweight things. Probably bred for the ring. He ended up in the hands of some wrong uns before my dad took him on for a new start. Fantastic dog into the wind on winter wheat to find a seated hare and throw a point.. totally natural to him it was. Very timid though.. probably due to his early start in life... hence the name we gave him.. Tim..?

Check my catty out!!

20200325_221111.jpg.41411613efbf8a9f0a8b8f60e3d7b660.jpg

He looks like a Tim 

I like Tim 

Did Tim ever cock his leg on anybody

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, gnipper said:

Did you say you've just got a lab? If them big horrible shit factories eat you can I have the lab for my daughter?

You can but the Mrs thinks more of that pup than me .perfect example yesterday sat in garden so I goes inside to we're my fan is normally placed  I bought a decen fan of Amazon .in its place is a £3.50 b.m special with  a blade I could spin faster with my finger .I found mine next to the pups bed 

• Haha 2