Unusual dog breed nowadays.

27 minutes ago, grompz said:

spotted a pembrokeshire corgi the other day, havent seen one in years, mate of mine an irish lad, i used to work with on the roads had one, a real bad tempered little sod,  but what a great guard dog he was,we used to take him ferreting and he was some dog for hunting and marking holes, only little legs but strong as an ox, maybe there are still a good few about, but i have my doubts, think they used them for herding cattle years ago in wales,the fella who had it was amazed that i knew a bit about them.

My daughter pointed one out to me at the local show last weekend,first corgi I've seen in 20 yrs probably,I was surprised she knew what it was..she's only 11,I used to go digging with the Oldman late 80's,early 90's just about every farm down west Wales had one,as untrustworthy/punchy as them farmers collies from what I remember ?

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ex Mrs's family had Lancashire heelers. First time I met her mum I picked one up, had it under my arm stroking it, like you do I just tipped it forward and dropped it expecting it to jump to the fl

Found a couple 

Just been chatting to my mate in the UK, he has just got an Otter Hound in the boarding kennel, the first one he has ever seen, there's less Otter hound left in the world than there are giant panda in

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My daughter pointed one out to me at the local show last weekend,first corgi I've seen in 20 yrs probably,I was surprised she knew what it was..she's only 11,I used to go digging with the Oldman late 80's,early 90's just about every farm down west Wales had one,as untrustworthy/punchy as them farmers collies from what I remember ?

What are the origins of corgis ?? 

unusual for the area ?? 

they are often in kids films Dan that’s how she’ll know …

21 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Has she been doing jubilee stuff at school? 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

What are the origins of corgis ?? 

unusual for the area ?? 

they are often in kids films Dan that’s how she’ll know …

unusual for where we live in South Wales,I always  thought they originated from West Wales/Pembroke way??

popped over my mum's after work for a cuppa...my brother has dumped a litter of pups on her?..where the f**k does the merle colour come from? and this platinum, chocolate,blue and tan,brindle etc in French bulldogs???DSC_2492.JPG.5653d40e72e30fa5cd35953313ba91de.JPG

• Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

popped over my mum's after work for a cuppa...my brother has dumped a litter of pups on her?..where the f**k does the merle colour come from? and this platinum, chocolate,blue and tan,brindle etc in French bulldogs???DSC_2492.JPG.5653d40e72e30fa5cd35953313ba91de.JPG

Healthy pups but all you hear is bred for colour and looks not health and temperament or to improve stock 

15 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Few quid there 

8 minutes ago, BEARINATOR said:

Healthy pups but all you hear is bred for colour and looks not health and temperament or to improve stock 

I've got to be honest,I don't think you could buy 'better blood 'here in the UK.,those pups will of been weaned on the best of the best ?.but it's alarming to me how these people,my brothers included can put these different colours together and get so much variety in a litter?..where does the 'fluffy' gene come from?those pups carry that?..and worst of all for me... people paying 5/10 k plus for a dog,will most certainly breed from that dog to recuperate the cost and that bit extra? keep em in the latest motors etc ? arse got to fall out of it soon????

• Like 1

I read up on it after seeing various dogs in merle and there's labs in this country who can produce anything you want in a dog merle/hairy/ smooth etc by all accounts it's a massive business and obviously takes years of cross breeding out of the equation 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I've got to be honest,I don't think you could buy 'better blood 'here in the UK.,those pups will of been weaned on the best of the best ?.but it's alarming to me how these people,my brothers included can put these different colours together and get so much variety in a litter?..where does the 'fluffy' gene come from?those pups carry that?..and worst of all for me... people paying 5/10 k plus for a dog,will most certainly breed from that dog to recuperate the cost and that bit extra? keep em in the latest motors etc ? arse got to fall out of it soon????

Them fluffy monstrosities must be a byproduct of breeding in the weird colours using other fanny licker breeds.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

? Recon your mum should be in the Seycelle's by September... £££

8 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Often wondered if this was related to the corgi 

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

I think they probably are related.  Corgis are supposed to be derived to shipperkes( l just know l've spelt that wrong) ,which are related to Northern dog breeds. 

Little sods for heel nipping which l guess comes for them being bred as cattle and watch-dogs.

When l was growing up a neighbour had a corgi x alsation. That must've involved some amusing contorions in the mating department!

Thinking about it; back in those days just about every other dog on the streets seemed to be an alsation crossed with something like a collie or lab... . And they all came with a serious health warning  not to touch!

Edited by comanche
  • Like 3

Old one of me here... guessing about '87 ish. Trusty old school lab and an Italian Spinone. I don't think there were many Spinone's in the country back then. Stiil hardly see any now but when i have they seem big cloddy overweight things. Probably bred for the ring. He ended up in the hands of some wrong uns before my dad took him on for a new start. Fantastic dog into the wind on winter wheat to find a seated hare and throw a point.. totally natural to him it was. Very timid though.. probably due to his early start in life... hence the name we gave him.. Tim..?

Check my catty out!!

20200325_221111.jpg.41411613efbf8a9f0a8b8f60e3d7b660.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2