Unusual dog breed nowadays.

I bought this book mid 1980's. Had not seen many, if any examples of some of the breeds/types. APBT, Akita, American Bulldogs etc. Within a few years I could have used the book as a spotter's guide ticking off the breeds when out and about. I do not have a problem with any of these breeds but prefer them not to be owned by cretins who have barely mastered how to speak or dress themselves let alone how to manage such impressive animals. 

I have noticed a change in recent years. The clueless casual dog owner now seems to prefer French Bulldogs or mini-poodle/cocker spaniel composites. Not as impressive looking but far less stressful when off the lead and making a beeline for your own animals at full pelt.

20220706_192701 (5).jpg

20220706_201243.jpg

• Like 7

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ex Mrs's family had Lancashire heelers. First time I met her mum I picked one up, had it under my arm stroking it, like you do I just tipped it forward and dropped it expecting it to jump to the fl

Found a couple 

Just been chatting to my mate in the UK, he has just got an Otter Hound in the boarding kennel, the first one he has ever seen, there's less Otter hound left in the world than there are giant panda in

Posted Images

On 05/07/2022 at 22:02, gnipper said:

There's a few wire haired fox terrier about but I don't think I've seen a smooth.

The first two dogs I remember growing up were a smooth fox terrier and a wire fox terrier x sheltie. Both were workers but this was back in the early 70s. Having said that, they both lived to a ripe old age so it'd actually be all the 70s and most of the 80s.? 

When I was a kid a lot of dog lads had a couple of trail hounds as summer dogs for the crack racing over the fells 

Never see any kicking about these days. Used to love seeing them walking past , my mates misses used to walk miles with theirs with the Kids in the pram . 

bonny looking dogs . 

5A9A8C32-E7EF-48F8-854B-EF971D901348.jpeg

D7646162-0625-4FAA-84D5-7CB4D3BBD8CA.jpeg

• Like 10

Best looking unusual type ive seen is a certain line of bandog produced in the uk. I dont normally like this type of thing but was taken back by how agile and driven they are i had to get my hands on one.

i like the look of hounds and pointers aswell ill tell ya what ya dont see much now is rottwielers. Can’t remember last time i seen one

Edited by C.green
3 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

When I was a kid a lot of dog lads had a couple of trail hounds as summer dogs for the crack racing over the fells 

Never see any kicking about these days. Used to love seeing them walking past , my mates misses used to walk miles with theirs with the Kids in the pram . 

bonny looking dogs . 

It’s a shame this is not a more popular sport. If I lived the other end of the country it’s something I would try to get involved with.

4 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

bonny looking dogs . 

https://fb.watch/e6Mf668dnJ/?fs=e&s=cl

It’s suffering the same fate as pigeon racing with only the older folk into it . 

i suppose it doesn’t go with the new era type image of a bifold clad new build overlooking a kennel of screaming trail hounds at the bottom of the garden 

it’s quite a sight at the bigger races like at the border common ridings , egremont crab fair , all the way from Whitehaven to Berwick people had hounds for racing . 

sad to see it dying , but as it said in the video it’s a full time job itself at times 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

It’s suffering the same fate as pigeon racing with only the older folk into it . 

i suppose it doesn’t go with the new era type image of a bifold clad new build overlooking a kennel of screaming trail hounds at the bottom of the garden 

it’s quite a sight at the bigger races like at the border common ridings , egremont crab fair , all the way from Whitehaven to Berwick people had hounds for racing . 

sad to see it dying , but as it said in the video it’s a full time job itself at times 

Is there much money involved in the trail running? 

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I sent a lurcher/hound x upto Cumbria to a gentleman who bred and ran fell/trail hounds and hound X lurchers a few seasons ago..a very interesting and knowledgeable chap?

• Like 1

See few rotties now and again 

seen a wire haired terrier this weekend not seen a smooth since last year and it did make stop n stare ?

my grandparents had a Keeshond when I was little can’t remember last time I seen one , when it died they got a chow chow which I see 1 or 2 a year.  

I see odd Shetland sheep dog occasionally not seen a sheltie for a while .

• Like 1

spotted a pembrokeshire corgi the other day, havent seen one in years, mate of mine an irish lad, i used to work with on the roads had one, a real bad tempered little sod,  but what a great guard dog he was,we used to take him ferreting and he was some dog for hunting and marking holes, only little legs but strong as an ox, maybe there are still a good few about, but i have my doubts, think they used them for herding cattle years ago in wales,the fella who had it was amazed that i knew a bit about them.

• Like 1