Unusual dog breed nowadays.

Well I've hunted with otterhounds ! So there, aren't I Billy big bollocks! Back in the seventies Dumfriesshire.. It was a good day out, lots of tradition. The huntsmen were well respected in those days. Didn't kill many, but kept a tradition going and men in jobs. I think there are still a few mink packs left and I'm sure some of their hounds will have otter hound blood. Like all hounds, they were/are very easy going, friendly dogs.

I've been a lifelong geek when it comes to dogs and dog breeds. I'm forever stopping people and asking what mix is in their dogs.

Seen plenty of dandie dinmonts as I live in Scotland, but never seen a Glen of Imaal.

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My ex Mrs's family had Lancashire heelers. First time I met her mum I picked one up, had it under my arm stroking it, like you do I just tipped it forward and dropped it expecting it to jump to the fl

Found a couple 

Just been chatting to my mate in the UK, he has just got an Otter Hound in the boarding kennel, the first one he has ever seen, there's less Otter hound left in the world than there are giant panda in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

The new forest had a famous line of Welsh in them from a hound called medig (sic). Most of their hounds have gone back to a Welsh pack this year I believe as they have turned to bloodhounds 

Dwfh have a bloody good Welsh hound and a good fell hound. The Welsh hound is quiet abit smaller then the rest but very often leading 

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

There's a woman who lives on a barge near me has 2 or at least she moors up here regularly if I see her with them again I'll get a pic if it's OK with her.im sure that solicitor clives reece used to hunt a pack of otter hounds in South Wales he used to advertise in cmw as a hunting solicitor , he had bloodhound in the pack and he got two airedale pups from scotland with the intention f adding them into his pack

2 minutes ago, big sid said:

Yea now you mention it I remember he had bloodhound in the pack used them for mink.the airedale from Scotland would they be off the woman who had a working strain think they were off American imports was she from Ayrshire I always fancied one but had full kennels back then with my terriers and lurchers 

14 minutes ago, big sid said:

i have seen a working border  terrier, now that takes a bit of beating.

Aye, Ive heard them described as border terrorists, and they are often scrappy on the end of a lead. However, how they would perform in the field is a different matter.

11 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Yea now you mention it I remember he had bloodhound in the pack used them for mink.the airedale from Scotland would they be off the woman who had a working strain think they were off American imports was she from Ayrshire I always fancied one but had full kennels back then with my terriers and lurchers 

everything right but the sex, it was a man not a woman.

6 hours ago, mackem said:

I have never seen one, that's why he sent me the pics, beautiful looking dog ?

On the subject or rare working breeds, I was in Cobham High Street once, I actually stopped a bloke to enquire about his dog, he said I was the first person to ever recognise it as a dandy dinmont ?

Last time I saw one of them was when Dan died in Montreal...

Green Lurchers might have a old pic or two of a mink pack that ran a otter hound and a otterhound x or two.Went out with them a couple of times myself and remember one otterhound was called General...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

There's a pack of minkies on the south coast that has a lot of otter hounds though there's some retired foxhounds mixed in. This is the only pic I can find at the minute. 

Can probably arrange a day with them on the Saturday before the fishing comp if anyone is interested. (yeah I know I've said that for 5 years but this year will be different ?

IMG_20220705_161308.jpg

Met up with them a couple of times on Bodmin Moor.

Cheers, D.

Aot of hound breeds are dying out. Shame as they are brilliant at what they do but takes a certain type of person to handle them

Read a feed the other day otter hounds here the reaest breed followed by the bloodhound which was surprising to me as I have one here and wouldn't wish one upon anybody ??

• Haha 1