My in season Jill had the Jill jab to take her out of season till next year. Vet said 11 days and she should be ok. It's been 15 days and still she's got a swollen vulva. It's not as swollen as it was but still swollen. She'd already been in season for longer than she should have been (not entirely my fault). Will contact the vet soon but just thought I'd see if anyone's got experience of this...like I said, it's gone down a bit but not much.

If the vulva is decreasing in size I'd wait a few more days. There are a couple of reasons why Jill jabs fail, assuming dose calculated correctly; Ive found vets are often nervous of ferrets and may not give a well targeted injection, IMO its up to us to reassure vet and agree how to hold them before the jab. One issue that you need to be aware of is the hormone is not very stable once the vial is opened and declines in effect over time even in the fridge. Old stock that's opened may not work well enough. However, although I've had to take ferrets back for a re jab they came out of seaso, just came back in a few weeks later, usually about now. Best wishes 

• Like 1
On 03/07/2022 at 22:38, Luckee legs said:

If the vulva is decreasing in size I'd wait a few more days. There are a couple of reasons why Jill jabs fail, assuming dose calculated correctly; Ive found vets are often nervous of ferrets and may not give a well targeted injection, IMO its up to us to reassure vet and agree how to hold them before the jab. One issue that you need to be aware of is the hormone is not very stable once the vial is opened and declines in effect over time even in the fridge. Old stock that's opened may not work well enough. However, although I've had to take ferrets back for a re jab they came out of seaso, just came back in a few weeks later, usually about now. Best wishes 

Thanks. The vet didn't seem to know exactly what she was doing. Had to feter to a handbook!! Maybe a re-jab in order. We'll see....