• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m sitting here for the last two hours watching the most amazing sky and at last the little bugger has appeared. He/she is flitting about like a banshee. The sky is amazing so will put one up. 

Incidentally the sky was beautiful.

i used to work on a caravan park about 20 years ago and one evening i was talking a guy sat on his decking that was catching moths that were drawn to his outside light and he was holding theses moths

Posted Images

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

It’s great watching folk who don’t know what it is striking into line bites off the bats at night ? iv had to go tell a few folk to sit on there hands as it’s bats ?

I once had a funny encounter too, I was at a campsite sat by the river with my bat detector on. A couple and 2 children walked past and stopped. He said are you checking for radiation? I said no, it's a bat detector. His wife laughed and said there's no bats in this country so I pointed at them and said what are they then? She and her 2 girls screamed and ran off lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Our neighbour told us bats where swallows flying at night when we lived at ole house, wouldn’t have it when I said it was bats under the streetlights, a lot of folk in this country are complete oblivious to what’s going on around them, but know every cnuts business on Facebook ?

Very true. The best bit is how she spoke to me like I was an idiot. It amazes me how anyone can go through life without realising.

• Like 1

I don't have much knowledge of them but always love to see them. Quite surreal when you're not expecting them. Flying mice! (flying shrews may be more accurate?). My dad never used to tire of telling us whenever anything bat related came on the tele that during his national service days in the RAF they had a flying fox as the camp mascot.

We have a pair in our porch awning. They must hibrernate between the roof tiles and boards. It amazes me that they survive the winters that regularly drop below 10C on a night for two or three weeks. There is a street lamp  just outside our garden where moths congregate. That is bat cafe. 

Just a bit of useless information: Izaac Walton wrote about finding hibernating swallows in a tree trunk. My bet is that he found bats and mistook them for birds.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

We have a pair in our porch awning. They must hibrernate between the roof tiles and boards. It amazes me that they survive the winters that regularly drop below 10C on a night for two or three weeks. There is a street lamp  just outside our garden where moths congregate. That is bat cafe. 

Just a bit of useless information: Izaac Walton wrote about finding hibernating swallows in a tree trunk. My bet is that he found bats and mistook them for birds.

That's great I love sitting out and watching them. I put some boxs up but none have used them yet that iv seen.

20220114_160433.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:rolleyes: The fukking din'! Everyone knows that swallows hibernate in the bottoms of ponds! FACT!

Most of what he wrote was bollox and the rest was copied from others.

3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Those boxes for swallows, Tom?

6 bat boxs on left 2 bird boxs on the right  blue tits where roosting in the 3 double chamber boxs on the left so I put a couple of bird boxs up to hopefully keep them out the bat boxs. 

I’m sitting here for the last two hours watching the most amazing sky and at last the little bugger has appeared. He/she is flitting about like a banshee. The sky is amazing so will put one up. 

C56AEB1C-ADF9-4261-A302-CBB5ADE2740A.jpeg

• Like 5