• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m sitting here for the last two hours watching the most amazing sky and at last the little bugger has appeared. He/she is flitting about like a banshee. The sky is amazing so will put one up. 

Incidentally the sky was beautiful.

i used to work on a caravan park about 20 years ago and one evening i was talking a guy sat on his decking that was catching moths that were drawn to his outside light and he was holding theses moths

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jok said:

These are little fellas about the size of a sparrow. Trying to get a pic is going to be tricky. Might follow Greyman with the trail cam idea.what breed might this be.? Jok.

Here is my detector and the list that comes with it the number at the beginning of the name is the frequency they use so you can tell a few but the more common ones all seem to be on or around 45 it’s good fun for not much money ??

214DAAF2-671A-43B4-9870-C74FAA846AF8.jpeg

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Here is my detector and the list that comes with it the number at the beginning of the name is the frequency they use so you can tell a few but the more common ones all seem to be on or around 45 it’s good fun for not much money ??

214DAAF2-671A-43B4-9870-C74FAA846AF8.jpeg

Nice grey man I have the mk4 too great detector.

In the UK I lived for a while in Ashford, right next to staines, I remember when the rabid bat was picked up. 

WWW.THISISLOCALLONDON.CO.UK

A rabid bat has been found in an alley near Staines town centre, in only the third rabies case in...

I was in jaisalmer years ago, I went into a shop and into their store room (cool temps compared to the desert temps outside), there was loads of what looked like mouse crap on the floor, when I looked up the cracks in the roof were stuffed with bat's. 

See a lot of bats here swooping back an forward over the gardens hunting most summer evenings regularly some times over the winter months but not as often but there a nice sight to see never the less couldn’t tell you what type of bats they are. Round by me there’s a lot of old cottages an later type 1940-1950s housing plus a couple of really old church’s in the village an farm buildings that are perfect habitat for them to hide out an call home I really enjoy watching them 

Aye up Wayne. Nice to get a post from you. About time you popped round for a beer. On the subject of bats, Linda and I hadn’t seen any for quite a while but lazing out in the hot tub we saw these and a whole bunch of bees going into an air brick. We have put a couple of bee boxes on the fence and they are very busy. Will be out again tonight with the camera and see what we can capture. Jok.

• Like 1

We had one in our living room the other night. Flew straight in the window, but didn't seem to be able to find its way out. It was doing circuits of the room but avoided touching anything.. Frightened the hell out of my mrs who was sure it would fly into her hair.  ?

After a lot of screaming and shrieking, I finally calmed down and opened the conservatory doors and it flew out.

8 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

30th September 2004:

" The Daubenton's bat was found by a member of the public in an alley off Thames Street, on Friday, September 17, when it was moved to a secluded spot underneath some trees, until Tuesday last week. "

:icon_eek: Twelve Fukkin' Days!!!

Young lad 20 years old maybe picked a bat up he saw crawling around on the ground, he didn't live long. 

Nice one pal. Long time no speak. I actually am really looking forward to going out tonight to, hopefully, capture the little buggers on camera. The thought of a bat in the house is, as the lovely one says, unthinkable. Jok.

• Like 1

i used to work on a caravan park about 20 years ago and one evening i was talking a guy sat on his decking that was catching moths that were drawn to his outside light and he was holding theses moths by the legs while the wings were flapping and bats were swooping down and taking them out of his hand 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We worked on a new build student accommodation complex for a local university a couple of years ago. 1 of the existing buildings that was to be demolished held a bat roost. A new "bat village" was built and 1 of the 1st jobs was to relocate the colony. It was a stand alone timber construction a bit like those high end tree houses that you see on American TV programmes. Our only involvement was to provide a power supply and the fit out was done by others but I believe it had a climate control system, automated variable access and egress dependant on time of year and remote CCTV monitoring system.

In the 2 years I visited I never seen a single bat. I was told that some bat experts caught up the population and relocated them into their new home, but they buggered off. I think we underestimate the resilience and adaptability of wild animals at times and hope that they just found a new suitable location all by themselves. The cost of the bat village.. £35,000, or so I was told.

Edited by eastcoast
changed a word