Cows milk goats milk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reared nearly 100 pups on Lactol,. great stuff, but they don't half gulp it down . The greedy litter will soon go through a Tin,.. but it all part and parcel of producing, good strong whelps...

Don't over do calcium,  causes more harm than good.  Adult dogs can  control calcium level when healthy but pups can't and to much causes abnormal bone growth. A normal diet should  supply plenty

pert pair for me mate none a them under the arm pits when they on there back ?  ourlass likes the moobs she must do ? ? 

Posted Images

Whilst they are pups they produce an enzyme called lactase which breaks down lactose, the sugar in milk, as they get older they stop producing it so are no longer able to break down lactase and so it passes straight through. So milk from any source as pups will give calories,  calcium  etc but as adults just a drink,  bit like flavourwater but can cause loose stools in some. 

As an aside humans that have a pastoralist background tend to have evolved to produce lactase in adulthood hence our ability to digest milk throughout our lives.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Forager69 said:

What about bone meal as well as the powder, calciumed up to the eyeballs?

Don't over do calcium,  causes more harm than good. 

Adult dogs can  control calcium level when healthy but pups can't and to much causes abnormal bone growth. A normal diet should  supply plenty. 

• Like 5

Goats milk is far better than cows milk in my experience. It doesnt scoure them at all. Ideal for growing saplings.Some Greyhound trainers used to keep goats for a good supply. For young puppies though supporting weaning and onwards Multi milk made by SCA is very good and does not scoure like Lamlac. Bonemeal is good too and is also very high in protein for saplings but I wouldnt give it to young puppies. You need to make sure they are getting vitamin D3 to carry the calcium. I think its in most complete puppy foods and multi milk anyway but not in bonemeal or at least not in Hollings bonemeal that I use.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, D Lloyd said:

What's people's appineons on feeding young pups on feeding cows milk goats milk or jest mixing lactol powder in water

For weaned pups goats milk is best as it contains no lactose which is what scours dogs. For pups that are not weaned and can’t feed of the bitch then you need to use the correct puppy formula. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Don't over do calcium,  causes more harm than good. 

Adult dogs can  control calcium level when healthy but pups can't and to much causes abnormal bone growth. A normal diet should  supply plenty. 

Absolutely spot on I had a lurcher pup many years ago that had to much calcium which caused hollow spots in her bones. They were very painful and took a month of cage rest to cure. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Forager69 said:

I'm sure that bone meal has recommendations for pups?

Pups don’t need bonemeal if their on a good balanced diet. But if you want to feed it as has been said less is better than more. And just one other thing to remember is that the bonemeal you see in garden centres etc is not for feeding to dogs. You need the food grade stuff. 

16 minutes ago, Forager69 said:

What about kibble, is there enough calcium in it?

Depends which one you buy mate they all have different amounts of all ingredients. 

• Like 1