Jump to content

Shooting on allotments


Recommended Posts


A friend of mine got an allotment recently. Digging it over he found what he thought were onions so ate them. Turned out he poisoned himself by eating daffodil bulbs and has been in hospital for months now. The doctor's say he will be out in spring.

As for the pigeons, ask Cwis, he knows best!

I know what I would do and it goes along these lines, if it's ok to shoot a rat or rabbit eating my lettuce's.......

  • Haha 8
Link to post

Back stop would be your only problem mate 

thinking about it , aren’t allotments leased out by the council to the tenants and if so you might need there permission 

same rule 

making sure your pellet does not leave your boundary’s so to speak 

Link to post
8 hours ago, David.evans said:

Back stop would be your only problem mate 

thinking about it , aren’t allotments leased out by the council to the tenants and if so you might need there permission 

same rule 

making sure your pellet does not leave your boundary’s so to speak 

David , I have permission to do pest control on the allotments  from the allotment committee and land owner . They also own all the fields around the allotments and the cricket fields , which I shoot on as well 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I'm on the committee of our Allotments and shooting isn't allowed by the council who own them.

But, just like the rules on keeping cockerels, ducks, the number of hens allowed, etc, we turn a blind eye to shooting rats with air guns provided it's done with a bit of common sense. I do it myself and never had a problem.

I don't know how you would stand regarding the third party insurance we pay for if some one got hurt in an air gun accident though ?

Cheers.

Link to post
1 hour ago, villaman said:

David , I have permission to do pest control on the allotments  from the allotment committee and land owner . They also own all the fields around the allotments and the cricket fields , which I shoot on as well 

All you need is the landowner permission and if the allotment committee said yes your good to go.. I shoot rabbits on a cemetery...I remember the FAO telling me I couldn't...  But that soon changed when we went back over the rights. 👍

Link to post

Now then now then. You ain’t shooting in an enclosed allotment. That is taboo. No council in the land will allow it as your local residents would go ballistic. They are the folks that need appeasing as one word from any of your local parish council could possibly close the whole site. Be Aware. Not only that, with the need for housing local councils, given a chance, will close them down. On our allotments we resorted to flying hawks and silhouettes of cats and foxes. They work 24/7.  Other than that no idea. Jok.

Link to post

I used to shoot rabbits on allotments by request of the committee, but that was a few decades ago. Those allotments weren’t owned by the council though, and are surrounded by farmland.

Link to post
27 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I used to shoot rabbits on allotments by request of the committee, but that was a few decades ago. Those allotments weren’t owned by the council though, and are surrounded by farmland.

Same with these allotments DB privately owned by a estate 

  • Like 3
Link to post
1 hour ago, stop.end said:

Lol.... Just like I told you..if you had the owners permission you were good to go... 

yes but loads had different opinions, I needed it from the horse’s mouth so to speak 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...