Just asking if anyone has knowledge of wall ties as we are in need of having them replaced.

It's a 1960s  end terrace and I have been recommended to have them replaced after a couple of surveys. I was getting around to having it sorted but the bloke doing it took early retirement.

Are there any particular ties that should be used over any that shouldn't?  I feel it's a big job where I could easily be talked into having what I 'need'.

Any companies in North Manchester anyone could recommend?

Cheers

Sometimes they rust and lift the brick work… you have to chop the mortar out knock them back and re-point!

there are replacements that you drill through the first skin of brickwork, through the cavity and half way into your house internal wall… you hammer them in. 

you can work out how many you need by every 900mm length ways and 450mm high 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, si brown said:

Sometimes they rust and lift the brick work… you have to chop the mortar out knock them back and re-point!

there are replacements that you drill through the first skin of brickwork, through the cavity and half way into your house internal wall… you hammer them in. 

How do you find out where each tie is?

24 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

How do you find out where each tie is?

if its not lifting the brickwork dont bother and just drill new holes at the measurements above!

but if you need to find the ties a metal detector. 

it is an easy job to do yourself but there are specific ways around windows and doors as there every 225mm high and 100mm away from the masonry edge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, si brown said:

Out of curiostity have you got a link or a picture of the replacement ties? 

7 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

Out of curiostity have you got a link or a picture of the replacement ties? 

these are the ones id use though " below"as there a stronger fix.. there are other ways too where you can use threaded bar and resin!

when ive done dodgy gables for insurance jobs its usually stipulated about the resin but for standard replacement where the house aint falling to bits these are fine. 

BSFIXINGS.UK

Remedial wall ties can be used where existing cavity walls are without ties, or when the original ties have perished and are unable to perform their primary...

• Like 1

Wall ties in any amount of decay won’t cause cracks in brickwork .I doubt if your house has any movement joints being 60 years plus old .Years ago they knew nothing about expansion .If it’s that bad Id cut a line 600mm to one side of point of gable to ground with a disc cutter and stitch either side with what’s been talked about previous at 450mm apart ,300mm from cut .Repoint the cracks and mastic the cut fully .

If it’s not too bad just go over the cracks with a 4 inch disc cutter ,stick a few of the retro ties in in if you must and repoint with 4 and 1 mix .Add lime if it’s stone work at 4:1:1

We do this work a lot in Bath where the money is ??

I reckon someone’s pulling your chain. No way anyone can tell where the wall ties are so replacement would be next to impossible. From memory, when building my garage, ties were put in every 3 courses and about 6ft apart. Think the problem is elsewhere imo. Jok

70A432C5-1026-4A6D-96D8-E6CFB254D7F4.jpeg.8514b3a68a92c423a5d2269cb70355ed.jpeg

bit of an extreme example but this is when wall ties rust and lift brick work. 
like foxdroper said throw some expansion into the mix and it will push the corners out or belly in the middle as all the strength has gone and it just slides on the corses below the failure. 
been a bricklayer for over 30 years?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help. Going to have to have a think what to do. We do have some cracks like si's picture.

But, there look like there are also angled cracks. I've no experience of this and will have to get  more checks.

Thanks all

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Those old butterfly ties did rust or un swivel, you could drill a small hole and put a camera into cavity to see the state of em. I’d reckon the gable end ties could poss lift the bricks but not lower down building as the pressures greater with the brick wieght . When I build a new gable end I put plenty of straps in on top of joists and all the way up rafters with plenty of wall ties. I prefer the ladder gables , building in properly the ladder struts that helps hold the gables well