from now through the season

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's one of mine, the first photo is mid June and the second photo is mid January. 

A shake for breakfast 1 for lunch then a proper dinner

Posted Images

2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

Seen a few bad dos with dogs shoved into boxes after a dig. Sort of feel like if you’re taking out workers, and working them hard, being shoved in a wee box squashed up for hours on the way home maybe isn’t the best level of care. The lads I go with also will have a couple of bigger dog crates to stick on the back seat of the motor on the way home if the dogs have had a good bit of graft. Just the same as cleaning them up and treating them before going to the pub / heading home. 

Yea totally agree, I've seen men squeeze terriers into boxes I wouldn't put a ferret in, terriers are always cleaned down and dryed before going in their boxes. Least you can do for them. 

• Like 2

I try to keep mine in fairly good condition most of the year. It is nice to know if they bump something up accidentally out of season I’m not overly worried about injury. I must admit I struggle keeping weight on my little dog in the winter when his work load is fairly high. Iv also noticed that he definitely runs better if he is on the lean side. Just seems that bit sharper. My first running dog so deffo still learning. Few pics of him at different weights. I’m also aware he looks under weight in the top pic. Had a spell where he wouldn’t hold any weight at all. Cheers 

E38321DA-D590-4000-8F8A-099E8DED13E8.png

FE3819D6-BE43-485C-A0C4-235C16C28215.png

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Runner96 said:

I try to keep mine in fairly good condition most of the year. It is nice to know if they bump something up accidentally out of season I’m not overly worried about injury. I must admit I struggle keeping weight on my little dog in the winter when his work load is fairly high. Iv also noticed that he definitely runs better if he is on the lean side. Just seems that bit sharper. My first running dog so deffo still learning. Few pics of him at different weights. I’m also aware he looks under weight in the top pic. Had a spell where he wouldn’t hold any weight at all. Cheers 

His a cracker ? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Runner96 said:

nice mate ?

• Like 1

I keep em reasonably fit all year so no worry about rhabdomyolysis etc if they get a bit of a runner early in the season ?.  Remember it takes at least 10 weeks for bone and tendons to adapt after a lay off.

Once they come out of season in spring  build up to an average of about 10 to 15 gallops on a half hour beach walk a couple of times a week.  Run with me 2 to 3 times a week, mainly off lead so usually get a few gallops in, mooch in the woods etc once a week plus twice daily park and they'll be ready for the winter. Then just fine tuning them on the  lamp. 

One of multiple gallops on a walk. Cool down in the pools and then go again and again and again.......

I've always kept myself and the dogs fit, just seems common sense. They carry a little extra weight in the  summer but other than that there's not a great deal of difference at any time of year.

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I keep em reasonably fit all year so no worry about rhabdomyolysis etc if they get a bit of a runner early in the season ?.  Remember it takes at least 10 weeks for bone and tendons to adapt after a lay off.

Once they come out of season in spring  build up to an average of about 10 to 15 gallops on a half hour beach walk a couple of times a week.  Run with me 2 to 3 times a week, mainly off lead so usually get a few gallops in, mooch in the woods etc once a week plus twice daily park and they'll be ready for the winter. Then just fine tuning them on the  lamp. 

One of multiple gallops on a walk. Cool down in the pools and then go again and again and again.......

I've always kept myself and the dogs fit, just seems common sense. They carry a little extra weight in the  summer but other than that there's not a great deal of difference at any time of year.

The can shift abit 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, sandymere said:

i’ll lead walk still sandy 2nd week a july i’ll start freerunning em then few week later bike aswell then throw abit a behind motor and start running them early august and still bike bike free run and behind motor by middle a december i will just run them with a bit a off the lead walking when dark 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Runner96 said:

looks a bit too pinny in the top picture.very nice type of a dog .