Bit off snareing now much now sett 10 snares

On 15/08/2022 at 15:22, mackem said:

Never snared a hare, but have had loads of rabbits. 

a watched them first mate,...seen where they were entering/exit , the field , etc,.....thats why I was successful, I think (cause I was new too it, I never believed I would catch anything !,  same with the rabbits I managed to catch ! ) ?, but with the right snares, tealers, etc, & wee bit of field craft,.....well it was the Woodga/Waters gear too ! ,....& instruction from the book ? ,...lol,....my old man's neighbour asked me if I could get him one or two, for the pot, so a thought I would try,.....he made a great hare stew,..very tender the meat was too, he managed,...I thought it would have been tougher 

Edited by earth-thrower
  • Like 1

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well after listening to you lads and tweaking my wires,I'm off the mark?,only the  one but it's a start??Thank you to all you lads for sharing your knowledge and not ripping the piss? ?

Sett them at 2pm check at 9pm yesterday 

6 1/2  inchs  is the standard for shortish Grass

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

a watched them first mate,...seen where they were entering/exit , the field , etc,.....thats why I was successful, (cause I was new too it, I never believed I would catch anything !,  same with the rabbits I managed to catch ! ) ?, but with the right snares, tealers, etc, & wee bit of field craft,.....well it was the Woodga/Waters gear too ! ,....& instruction from the book ? ,...lol,....my old man's neighbour asked me if I could get him one or two, for the pot, so a thought I would try,.....he made a great hare stew,..very tender the meat was too !

They are very tasty got to agree What height for a hare ?

1 hour ago, earth-thrower said:

A caught  at,  9 1/2 inch, I remember & it was rabbit snares & tealers,....so tealer not quite long enough, but learned a trick , again , from Glen's book to get the height ?

I wouldn't try & snare any type of hare here, often,..just occasional,...but I do remember the keeper actually got my mate a bit of paid work for hares once (at least 20 year ago now,....), he was a ferret , & dog man,..& the landowner sold this ground to the regional park, to be planted up with trees , & public access, etc Anyway, they were obviously too tight for proper fencing,..& I remember he was to snare the whole boundary, cause when the saplings got planted, the hares where going in & nipping them off, etc (no guards on them, & a can't actually remember if there was even any deer fence !  , cause certainly wasn't any chicken wire , along the bottom) So he got £10 a hare, setting runs on fence & on top of stone dykes. 

Edited by earth-thrower
2 minutes ago, earth-thrower said:

I wouldn't try & snare any type of hare here, often,..just occasional,...but I do remember the keeper actually got my mate a bit of paid work for hares once (20 year ago now,....), he was a ferret , & dog man,..& the landowner sold this ground to the regional park, to be planted up with trees , & public access, etc Anyway, they were obviously too tight for proper fencing,..& I remember he was to snare the whole boundary, cause when the saplings got planted, the hares where going in & nipping them off, etc (no guards on them, & a can't actually remember if there was even any deer fence !  , cause certainly wasn't any chicken wire , along the bottom) So he got £10 a hare, setting runs on fence & on top of stone dykes. 

Thing is now though, with this new snaring legislation, in Scotland..that wouldn't be allowed, anymore ! ??,...you CANNOT set a snare (on any good run) running under or  through a fence line, now ????, indeed, you can't hang one ANYWHERE where there's even the slightest risk of entanglement, etc , to the target animal

Reading this thread has got me wanting to do abit myself,snared hundreds of fox over the yrs,but not set anything for rabbits since a teenager ...few left out to 'weather',will have a go next weekend and set a few...quick question,what's the best height to set them when on a tealer, on a run out in the open???DSC_2794.JPG.2957824c9cbc81bcc367e3d45b2dcf90.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Reading this thread has got me wanting to do abit myself,snared hundreds of fox over the yrs,but not set anything for rabbits since a teenager ...few left out to 'weather',will have a go next weekend and set a few...quick question,what's the best height to set them when on a tealer, on a run out in the open???DSC_2794.JPG.2957824c9cbc81bcc367e3d45b2dcf90.JPG

6 1/2 inches sometimes 7 inches if grass is higher keep us posted how you get on all the best ? 

20220428_114744.jpg

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Depends how long grass is just now mate, I have to be honest I prefer the hoop set up or a nice long fence line this time a year, but get on em, an set an inch higher than you think if grass is long, should be a doddle now the grass is up to pick out runs an beats, might even dig some out myself once these moles gee me a break ?

Like a Bit off hoop snareing myself 

20220408_121414.jpg

20220408_120700.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I just find it a tad easier mate, pure laziness if I’m honest haha an there again I always start my looking for a well used fence an use it as a natural choke point ?

Iam the same I like fence snareing mate too 

20220627_211849.jpg

20220627_211833.jpg

• Like 2