Patterdale X whippet?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends what you wanted it for, but I think it would be a handy cross. My “whippet” is 1/4 JRT. Can’t go wrong with a bit of terrier in there.

Pup in pic is bedy whippet x pat whippet and all pups from this litter made good small lurchers ,I never bred this x again but looking back maybe I should have as they all turned out OK 

not as fast as a whippet but faster than a terrier.....

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Patterdale whippet is fine for Bushing and ratings if that's.what you our into But anything going across the field well that's another story each to there own 

Disagree mine can catch easily in the open. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, socks said:

Disagree mine can catch easily in the open. 

Good for you socks ? if your first cross patterdals whippets are killing rabbits running across open ground iam glad for you ? But the Bottom line is these wee type off Dogs will not have the legs for it let's be truefull here lads even for lamp you will be hoping to catch one specially 60 or 70 yard slips but as I said before each to there own I have first x Wheaton whippets and first x beddy whippet and they struggle with rabbits in open fields all the best ? 

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

Good for you socks ? if your first cross patterdals whippets are killing rabbits running across open ground iam glad for you ? But the Bottom line is these wee type off Dogs will not have the legs for it let's be truefull here lads even for lamp you will be hoping to catch one specially 60 or 70 yard slips but as I said before each to there own I have first x Wheaton whippets and first x beddy whippet and they struggle with rabbits in open fields all the best ? 

Who said mine were first cross …..

32 minutes ago, socks said:

Who said mine were first cross …..

Well what our they then 3/4 whippet 1/4 pat I Don't know this was all about whippet x Patterdale first cross if your talking 3/4 then you have a bit more chance But why wouldn't you go to the greyhound first more hight and stronger then go back to the whippet that's 7/8 whippet 1/8 Wheaton he's making 22inches now 10 months ? 

20220127_130659.jpg

9 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

I’ve found that with my first cross beddy/whippet. Hasn’t got the speed to catch most rabbits, especially if they have a 50/60 yard start.. she has more success on the lamp but that’s to be expected. Great little bushing dog though and ferreting with the nets… she wouldn’t catch many without the nets though. 

• Like 2

Terrier whippet type sounds perfect to me no matter what the terrier as long as it has a bit of go in it. For catching rabbits at least with ferrets that is what you need. Rabbits never in the open more than few seconds ducking in and out. Slipping nets or what  ever.

No good having a bloody big blunderbus for that work though they will have a dam good go lol

fer.jpg.179e0bdb69d715708520fa236db7646d.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, moonlighter said:

I’ve found that with my first cross beddy/whippet. Hasn’t got the speed to catch most rabbits, especially if they have a 50/60 yard start.. she has more success on the lamp but that’s to be expected. Great little bushing dog though and ferreting with the nets… she wouldn’t catch many without the nets though. 

There's first x whippet x Wheaton and it struggles in open ground and it would be bigger and stronger than a pat x whippet now don't get me wrong here a smasher in bushes and around holes and lamping you need to pick your rabbits as to speak 

20200828_001122.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, terryd said:

Terrier whippet type sounds perfect to me no matter what the terrier as long as it has a bit of go in it. For catching rabbits at least with ferrets that is what you need. Rabbits never in the open more than few seconds ducking in and out. Slipping nets or what  ever.

No good having a bloody big blunderbus for that work though they will have a dam good go lol

fer.jpg.179e0bdb69d715708520fa236db7646d.jpg

There's a bitch 25 inches smasher in bushes in open ground But she's retired now only out now.and again done her back in more a pet now for a big bitch she was one off the best ferreting dogs I've had 

IMG-20210226-WA0034.jpg

• Like 2

Big doesn’t necessarily mean can’t work cover. This bitch is 25 inches and she could hear the ferret and rabbits underneath this bush and pushed her way in. Anybody that knows this type cover will know how tight and thorny it is.