Patterdale X whippet?

3 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Are you joking? It’s night and day between the two. Patterdales are worked a lot more then bedlington terriers. Would you be happier to use a  bedlington over a patt say as a stud dog? 

All depends on what bitch I was putting it over ,lot more patts go to ground but I don't think the bedlington terrier was ever ment for working small earths but rock piles and badger sets and if the patterdale a better option to produce lurchers why wasn't it used that much in the past or in recent times ? I'd rather go with a bedlington stud that's bushing and ratting/rabbiting than a out and out earth dog to produce q lurcher but that my opinion, 

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends what you wanted it for, but I think it would be a handy cross. My “whippet” is 1/4 JRT. Can’t go wrong with a bit of terrier in there.

Pup in pic is bedy whippet x pat whippet and all pups from this litter made good small lurchers ,I never bred this x again but looking back maybe I should have as they all turned out OK 

not as fast as a whippet but faster than a terrier.....

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

All depends on what bitch I was putting it over ,lot more patts go to ground but I don't think the bedlington terrier was ever ment for working small earths but rock piles and badger sets and if the patterdale a better option to produce lurchers why wasn't it used that much in the past or in recent times ? I'd rather go with a bedlington stud that's bushing and ratting/rabbiting than a out and out earth dog to produce q lurcher but that my opinion, 

beddy crosses can sometimes be bad for f***ing  off bushing when lamping id imagine you get it threw to the pat they will be at the holes all the time 

Edited by mC HULL
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Black neck said:

Utter twaddle 

i’ve seen some corking beddy crosses lamping blacky but seen a few were nose is to much miss a few they don’t come back out the briars nose is a must for me but too much it’s a nightmare 

1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

i’ve seen some corking beddy crosses lamping blacky but seen a few were nose is to much miss a few they don’t come back out the briars nose is a must for me but too much it’s a nightmare 

Yeah It can happen and some little terrier crosses will go under ,I seen a whippet greyhound go up a pipe in middle o the night and lug summat back 30 foot and out same dog had 2 be dug on other occasions at night ,wernt really what was required tbh ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ive been after a good whippet with a touch of bull or terrier for a while. I find if they aint got a touch of sommat else there abit fragile but alot of crosses aint fast enough in the open need hedges to kill rabbits on the lamp

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, C.green said:

Ive been after a good whippet with a touch of bull or terrier for a while. I find if they aint got a touch of sommat else there abit fragile but alot of crosses aint fast enough in the open need hedges to kill rabbits on the lamp

What about the black dog you had ? that socks used as stud ?‍♂️

I liked the little dog retrieved brilliantly lamping was ok for a dog hes size but wasnt too keen on tangling with muntjac hence why he went to someone just for rabbiting. I was lucky enough to buy a bitch abit bigger that was mad for them but she was killed on a road. You know yourself a good whippet type with a big heart is a good bit of sport on them munties and thats the main thing i go out for these days.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, C.green said:

I liked the little dog retrieved brilliantly lamping was ok for a dog hes size but wasnt too keen on tangling with muntjac hence why he went to someone just for rabbiting. I was lucky enough to buy a bitch abit bigger that was mad for them but she was killed on a road. You know yourself a good whippet type with a big heart is a good bit of sport on them munties and thats the main thing i go out for these days.

That’s fair enough mate there’s plenty them about ! Ever had a whippet type but seen a few