Patterdale X whippet?

Has anyone crossed a patterdale with a whippet? The (good) working bedlington seems to be a thing of the past so I'm wondering if say 3/4 whippet, 1/4 patterdale might be be a good dog....

I know the bull is a popular X but it's not really my cuppa tea.

Edited by riverliver123
Misspell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Depends what you wanted it for, but I think it would be a handy cross. My “whippet” is 1/4 JRT. Can’t go wrong with a bit of terrier in there.

Pup in pic is bedy whippet x pat whippet and all pups from this litter made good small lurchers ,I never bred this x again but looking back maybe I should have as they all turned out OK 

not as fast as a whippet but faster than a terrier.....

Posted Images

1 hour ago, riverliver123 said:

Has anyone crossed a patterdale with a whippet? The (good) working bedlington seems to be a thing of the past so I'm wondering if say 3/4 whippet, 1/4 patterdale might be be a good dog....

think socks has them mate 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Savage feet on it, what kind of weight and height? I’d say it’s quick AF off the mark!

She’s around 19-20” and 13-14kgs. She’s lightening quick, fun dog to watch. 

• Like 1
On 27/06/2022 at 21:48, riverliver123 said:

I really don't see what a Patterdale would put in to a running dog that a bedlington wouldn't?   

5 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I really don't see what a Patterdale would put in to a running dog that a bedlington wouldn't?   

the op stated why he was asking about patterdale x. A lot more working pats then beddys. Would want to find a good leggy one I would have thought 

• Like 1

Only ever seen one a3/4whippet 1/4 patt. A keeper i knew had one years ago. He really rated it, very quick off the mark & good for ferreting marking etc. Said he didn’t try it on lamp as he did night stuff with rifle. Dog had great temperament. Good luck finding one ?. Atb

1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

Are you joking? It’s night and day between the two. Patterdales are worked a lot more then bedlington terriers. Would you be happier to use a  bedlington over a patt say as a stud dog? 

it's a hard one really. do you need a earth dog as a stud dog? all the beddywhippets I have had have, hunted, marked caught etc. what would a patx do any different?. I would certainly try one for my type of mooching, lakeland, fell, Russell, patt etc x whippet. but I only see them doing the same job. 

• Like 1

I’ve gone down the smaller terrier cross lurchers and I must say I’m very impressed. I only need them to work rats and rabbits and they do the jobs perfectly. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, socks said:

I’ve gone down the smaller terrier cross lurchers and I must say I’m very impressed. I only need them to work rats and rabbits and they do the jobs perfectly. 

my kind of dog's ?. I have no interest in anything bigger than rabbits, rat, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, they do the job. 

1 minute ago, Wideboy said:

I’m not arguing btw, but a patt is a lot more of a dog then a non working beddy, unless you can find a working one. You say an earth dog, but sure isn’t that what the beddy was used for really? 
A lot more drive and hardiness. If the breeding was to work out. 

Yes I know exactly what you mean and earth working bedlingtons seem as rare as rocking horse shit. what I call bushing beddy, that work rats, rabbits etc still seem to produce when put to whippets. 

1 hour ago, socks said:

I would expect they see fox as fair game to? Flushing to gun obviously