Jim barker and minshaws

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only ever seen the one dog in the flesh....was a very old dog at the time,the man that had it,used to be on here(well known and respected)..he  had run lurchers and dug terriers the lenght of the UK a

I had mine right back in the 90,s way back before Jim barker bred any, never seen any of his stuff and never heard of the man till the tinternet started. My old dog was  a grandson of vics blue, and t

I had a bitch out of Blue. It was useless. A real comic. When it saw a hare it would never actually course it, it would try and herd it and sometimes run a few fields away expecting the hare to sudden

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Genuine responses please gents......soo many think they know it alls on dog forums...yawn......?

I had mine right back in the 90,s way back before Jim barker bred any, never seen any of his stuff and never heard of the man till the tinternet started. My old dog was  a grandson of vics blue, and the stuff me and a few mates ran was heavy collie influenced. For what we was doing and running at the time, I was happy. Put some large critters in the freezer, wasn't the fastest of dogs by any means. And if am honest a lot of the big stuff was caught off a fence or in a gutter or dyke ect. Fun times back then, happy memories,  met some cracking friends up in the lakes. But times and dogs change. I met Vic, he kindly showed me into his home, showed me is photo albums , gave me a brew and put me onto a spot on the borders. Seemed a ok fella. All this was way back in early to mid 90,s. Like I said life moves on and times change. One thing tho, minshaws always cause a stir when mentioned on the forums. So feet up and coffee and popcorn to hand lol. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

=@=@:help:

I had a bitch out of Blue. It was useless. A real comic. When it saw a hare it would never actually course it, it would try and herd it and sometimes run a few fields away expecting the hare to suddenly appear in front of it. It was always car sick. Somebody had to travel with it with a bucket under its nose. It would howl and run under a hedge at night whenever there was any heavy rain or hail. (To be fair it's coat was very thin, like a greyhound.) It had a 'happy tail' which needed bandaging all the time otherwise it would spray blood all over the place. It would pick fights with other bitches and end up needing stitches. It didn't like to mix it and would give up if she was hurt by prey, even edible prey. Tbh, it was retarded.The Mrs and kids loved her. Er, I did not. I should be awarded a medal for allowing it to see out its natural lifespan.lol

It was the luck of the draw. I was unlucky. I'm not knocking the strain. I've seen the stuff  the Minshaw boys brought into  a game dealer we used. They needed to hire vans to transport their stuff. The numbers they brought in spoke volumes about their dogs. Having said that, the owners didn't work, so they had plenty of time on their hands.

I called them a strain. They definitely had a look about them which was unmistakably 'Minshaw'. 

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7
12 hours ago, jukel123 said:

The numbers they brought in spoke volumes about their dogs. Having said that, the owners didn't work, so they had plenty of time on their hands

I'm quessing here but those lads didn't just sacrifice work but I bet a few relationships as well to work there dogs to the max and fair play to them for that dedication .pm fuji he is a knowledge on minshaws and there like . I'm sure he could give you plenty of info about them .like or loath them both man and dog tested themselves and put plenty of gear away on some rough ground 

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I'm quessing here but those lads didn't just sacrifice work but I bet a few relationships as well to work there dogs to the max and fair play to them for that dedication .pm fuji he is a knowledge on minshaws and there like . I'm sure he could give you plenty of info about them .like or loath them both man and dog tested themselves and put plenty of gear away on some rough ground 

They sold there souls for the cause 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

They sold there souls for the cause 

They were decidated to the cause bn and every credit they lived the dream and bagged up  ? the few I saw run were nothing to look at but knew there job had bags of stamina and good mouths run of there own  accord and never picked a run which you think of with heavy collie blood .fair play to the lads they put some serious numbers to bed 

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

I thought fuji might of put something together 

I actually thought he was doing a book in collaboration with JD, maybe it's still in the pipeline? 

• Like 1