Bit of History...something different

Plummer's Nathan is by far his greatest work (though I'll always tipp my hat to Fell Terrier, flawed that it is)

You gotta hand it to him, 'ol DBP really did do his homework on such subjects. Maroc the Barbary ape, the Hinkley Boar, Blue Pauls, Red Smutts etc.... Would we really know these names and what went on in the Westminister Pits if Plummer hadn't put pen to paper in the past 40 years.

I'm not such a fan of the man, but his early works are... Fantastic.  

Before ego and self-righteous took hold....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I guess it’s each to their own mate. Most people would make the same indictment of hunting with dogs, period !  Anyone here who does or has at some time hunted with dogs would be regarded as ut

I remember being taken to Blackpool zoo when I was a kid about 60 years ago. There was a full grown male gorilla in a cage with steel bars measuring about 12× 8 . It lay on a raised concrete bed with

Honestly they gather in packs and mooch about in refuse piles etc .  I was disposing of my waste from the expedition post descent and it emerged  down the pile , screaming and chittering.  L

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

Dog fighting makes me feel sick ,just don't see how anyone could get a dog in such fine condition to see it fight to the death ,its just wrong and as for putting one to a chimp etc its just sad so very sad .

I guess it’s each to their own mate.

Most people would make the same indictment of hunting with dogs, period ! 
Anyone here who does or has at some time hunted with dogs would be regarded as utter vermin by most ordinary people.

Also, those of us that don’t engage in such things have no doubt reaped the benefit of dogs bred by those that do…..we should give them credit for nurturing such single minded, game animals.

Any of us that have killed another living creature with a dog have absolutely no room to judge imho 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

I guess it’s each to their own mate.

Most people would make the same indictment of hunting with dogs, period ! 
Anyone here who does or has at some time hunted with dogs would be regarded as utter vermin by most ordinary people.

Also, those of us that don’t engage in such things have no doubt reaped the benefit of dogs bred by those that do…..we should give them credit for nurturing such single minded, game animals.

Any of us that have killed another living creature with a dog have absolutely no room to judge imho 

Like you say each to there own ,but in no way is two bull breeds coming to scratch to fight anything like me or anyone in past history going out with a running dog to bag some protein but of course the fluffy brigade will look at me and others running dogs the same way as those who partake in dog fights but they clueless, 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Plummer's Nathan is by far his greatest work (though I'll always tipp my hat to Fell Terrier, flawed that it is)

You gotta hand it to him, 'ol DBP really did do his homework on such subjects. Maroc the Barbary ape, the Hinkley Boar, Blue Pauls, Red Smutts etc.... Would we really know these names and what went on in the Westminister Pits if Plummer hadn't put pen to paper in the past 40 years.

I'm not such a fan of the man, but his early works are... Fantastic.  

Before ego and self-righteous took hold....

His books are a good read and like you I think the fell terrier qnd Nathan to best books he wrote and running dogs and scoundrels, any staff bull book worth reading should have the history of the breed and most have some good pics in them  

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Yeppers. Taken, by a Berber tribesman, as a ..... what ever baby monkeys are called.

I was gonna say what a fukkin Brilliant chapter 'Maroc' is. But, then; Isn't every chapter in that book fukking superb?! :boogy:

Got to be said though; Somehow, I Do just think that particular one stands out :yes: I thiknk it's just the sheer Depth of the stories. Not only Maroc's.

Aye that Nathan books a crackin read his best in my opinion 

Anyone old enough to remember that the Guiness Book Of Word Records used to give the rat killing records from the 19th century. Detailing dogs, locations and numbers killed.

Billy, Jocko and a bitch called Jenny Lind were all in that book. The earlier editions had loads of information.

I've got most of his books in the loft ,never no few years time they might be worth few quid as i got mostly first A ones ,

To be honest I think the only other authors on par or better are Phil Lloyd and one or two of darcys books 

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

I've got most of his books in the loft ,never no few years time they might be worth few quid as i got mostly first A ones ,

To be honest I think the only other authors on par or better are Phil Lloyd and one or two of darcys books 

Same here mate, mine are for sale, sensible offers?

Cheers, D.