Rail strikes

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I work for Network Rail and the comments by Schapps are hilarious he keeps bleating on about how much drivers are paid Network Rail do not employ any drivers for one it’s the TOCs the train operating

Mick Lynch has been a breath of fresh air. He's trounced every interviewer and slippery politician he's been up against despite their training in public speaking, debating and media presentation. He's

@WILF In amongst the emos lol View of main stage with domes on way out Main stage at Eden project

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Our train service is very poor compared to the clean, efficient, heavily subsidised  services of our continental neighbours. We are still stuck with  victorian  infrastructure because of decades of under investment. I think there have  been efforts to modernise the train service and some investment but we have a long way to go in comparison to Spain, France and Germany for example.

As far as unions go, if you look at pay where workers are unionised,  it is much higher than non unionised jobs. Unions are essential but they are demonised in the UK.

In other countries they are accepted as an essential part of the negotiating process, just another arm of  the good management of a work force.

I go to Durham miners' gala most years. Its a massive gathering of people who still believe in working class solidarity and advancement. A good day out where you can chat with folk with similar values to yourself. I know a lot will scoff at this,  but historically the unions have played a huge part in creating  a better  Britain.

I don't think the miners' aim was to bring down the tories. That would have been a bonus lol, but it was about protecting jobs first and foremost. It was turned into a political, class war by the tories and the media, especially the Daily Mail. They are doing the same with the rail workers.

1 hour ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Green day , your 40 ffs , what do you need to be angry at your parents about at that age ? 

f***ing everything!!! ?

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, micky said:

As a kid we caught Trains everywhere it was Pennies now days i wonder who can afford it ? i understand  that people in the know can get cheap fares by booking months in advance and certain times of the day but who wants to do all that for a day out?.

That side of it should be sorted. I used to go to London from Sth Yorks for hospital appointments. The fare offered by the train company was four times that I paid via an agency. And if I got done early and went to buy an earlier return they wanted ten times what I had paid for the return ticket. Madness!

Privatising railways was not a good thing especially when that ginger cnut Bransom got involved. The train companies don't own the trains or rolling stock. The tracks belong to someone else and  tickets are bought in bulk by agencies who then undercut the train companies. The loser is the public as usual.

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

sack the lot of the lazy fecks.sat on their arse all day and getting well above what they should be payed allready.greed.

Something occurred to me reading that……what exactly would you pay the bloke driving 400 tons at 70mph and your the passenger ? Lol ? 

• Haha 1

My trains are freight - they weigh anything from 2000 to 4000 tons and, they can run at up to 60mph.

When they reach me, I'm responsible for all of their movements, for getting in between those wagons when required and, I'm responsible for checking it all over and signing legal paperwork to say that it's safe to go back out on the mainline.

Each wagon weighs around 100 tons full / 27 tons empty so, there are no small accidents. A cock up will leave you with a life changing injury, or you'll be dead or, you'll be up infront of a judge - it's not a case of a written warning from HR.

We work at whatever hour is required and, in whatever the weather conditions happen to be at the time.

I've been doing 6 day weeks for the last few months, same as a lot of the lads - 60+ hour weeks.

What price do you put on that?

Just to add - I'm not moaning about the job, I do actually like this job.

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

sack the lot of the lazy fecks.sat on their arse all day and getting well above what they should be payed allready.greed.

And you would know would you, stupid comment. 

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

We're not paid for what happens when the job is running smoothly - we're paid for being able to sort it quickly and efficiently when it goes wrong.

People like you don't get to see that side of it though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I work for Network Rail and the comments by Schapps are hilarious he keeps bleating on about how much drivers are paid Network Rail do not employ any drivers for one it’s the TOCs the train operating companies.

Whats happening is an attack on our terms and conditions which have been fought for for generations, also we have had a pay freeze since 2019 they are also scrapping roles such as the operative and supervisors role trying to get us to do more nights more weekends I do three weekends a month as it is.

He keeps on bleating about the £16 billion that was given to the industry we didn’t see a penny of it, it was used to prop up the industry as people were not using it due to everyone on furlough and sitting on their arses at home, whilst we were keeping freight moving for the food and power stations, oh yeh not to mention a few Nightingale hospital that the wonderful orange army erected at the time at the drop of a hat.

I and a lot of my colleagues worked all through the pandemic and any one that thinks we are lazy and greedy and sit on our arses can f**k off, come and spend some time with me when I have to help recover a body that’s been hit by a train at eighty mph plus and tell me I’m not worth what I get paid. 

• Like 12
56 minutes ago, WILF said:

Something occurred to me reading that……what exactly would you pay the bloke driving 400 tons at 70mph and your the passenger ? Lol ? 

Well put :laugh:

On that topic, imo, if we can’t automate rail by now we never will be able to. Network them, automate them and sack the driver. If cars can navigate the roads autonomously and planes can land and take off from moving ships autonomously then poxy f***ing trains should be a doddle.