This year's General Licenses 2008

Hello, just been printing off the general licence 'to kill or take certain birds to prevent serious damage or disease' but cant find one for mammals. Is there not one for rabbits, rats etc any more? I remember having one of the old DEFRA ones.

Thanks

Gaz

The licences only ever (as far as I know) applied to wild birds.

Edited by Chris St. MH

The protection and destruction of some mammal species is set in various pieces of law. Off hand, the following may be killed at all times if they are considered to be a pest; they include, Fox, Rabbit, Stoat, Weasel, Rat, Mink, Mice(except protected species), and even the Hedgehog if it found to be taking eggs.

There may be others but there are no conditions attached to these species such as for the "protection of wild birds", they can be shot because they are a pest species in law.

Regards

SS

• 3 months later...

So could you just print all the General Licenses off, have them with you and if you are confronted about it, show them all?

Basically, so you always have an excuse to shoot birds, no matter what it is protecting or helping..

Cheers,

Paul.

So could you just print all the General Licenses off, have them with you and if you are confronted about it, show them all?

Basically, so you always have an excuse to shoot birds, no matter what it is protecting or helping..

Cheers,

Paul.

I think i can see what you mean with your question, and i hope this goes some way to answering that question.

What i have done is to make myself a 'shooting file' - basically a folder which has clear A4 pockets within it. I then tend to print off a copy of each of the four licences, and put them into their own idivual pockets, along with a pocket containing detailed, self researched and constructed information about my shoots and the permission form relating to each of them. Also included in this file system is proof of my shooting insurance, as well as a couple of safety type notices to put up when i am on site. I don't carry the file around the shoot with me - i keep it locked in the car so that i can produce everything if i need to. :thumbs:

This, i have been told, looks very professional, and the benefit for me is that i can (as you rightly say) produce them if required - so as to cover my arse, if you like. This actual turn of events happened to me once, where some very severe anti's came upon me at my crematorium shoot, but thats a story for another day, suffice to say i came out on top - all because i had this shooting file i could produce on the day! :victory::gunsmilie:

But a word of warning - you will only be covered by the terms of the general licences if you follow them to the word. What i mean to say is, its not a case of 'open ticket' for every bird notated on the licences just because you are in possesion of the licences themselves - you need to obsevre the terms of each licence to make sure you can have a bomb proof legal defense if you are questioned, like. :yes:

Hope this helps answer what i think your statement seems to mean mate?

Regards, :)

Grim.

Cheers,

Paul.

I think i can see what you mean with your question, and i hope this goes some way to answering that question.

What i have done is to make myself a 'shooting file' - basically a folder which has clear A4 pockets within it. I then tend to print off a copy of each of the four licences, and put them into their own idivual pockets, along with a pocket containing detailed, self researched and constructed information about my shoots and the permission form relating to each of them. Also included in this file system is proof of my shooting insurance, as well as a couple of safety type notices to put up when i am on site. I don't carry the file around the shoot with me - i keep it locked in the car so that i can produce everything if i need to. :thumbs:

This, i have been told, looks very professional, and the benefit for me is that i can (as you rightly say) produce them if required - so as to cover my arse, if you like. This actual turn of events happened to me once, where some very severe anti's came upon me at my crematorium shoot, but thats a story for another day, suffice to say i came out on top - all because i had this shooting file i could produce on the day! :victory::gunsmilie:

But a word of warning - you will only be covered by the terms of the general licences if you follow them to the word. What i mean to say is, its not a case of 'open ticket' for every bird notated on the licences just because you are in possesion of the licences themselves - you need to obsevre the terms of each licence to make sure you can have a bomb proof legal defense if you are questioned, like. :yes:

Hope this helps answer what i think your statement seems to mean mate?

Regards, :)

Grim.

Yeah that takes care of any doubts mate. :thumbs:

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
......Since then, i have always made sure up to date licenses are in my file..........
Lots of good info' in this thread for the would-be air rifle owner. I like the way that you can use your own sense of responsibility. That seems to make....sense. Many thanks. :)
......Since then, i have always made sure up to date licenses are in my file..........
Lots of good info' in this thread for the would-be air rifle owner. I like the way that you can use your own sense of responsibility. That seems to make....sense. Many thanks. :)

No problems . . at all chap. Glad to have been of help to you. :thumbs:

Regards,

Grim.

...does that mean whole of the uk? cant see any thing about scotland...............
..likewise for the land of the Red Dragon?

Downloaded the suggested pdf's including WML Gen-L09 which is for keeping birds that are injured. Thanks Grim.

There certainly are a lot of licences that you can drop yourself in-the-old doodoo's with. :icon_eek:

• 4 weeks later...