Does anyone take their ferrets to the vets?

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

I had a jill come out of a rat set with an eye ball hanging under her jaw with a few blood vessels an veins holding it, no offence but j don’t think a jab if pen an strep would have sorted her ? iv got access to a lot of meds mate, but there comes a time an place where you got to call somebody more experienced, an I won’t feel any less a dog/ferret man for doin so?

Depending if it was a top worker and how much the vet was charging but I haven't came across the yet if.it was just a middleing ferret then it would probably get a top on the head good.man for giving it the chance not many would 

I've only taken one to a vet as he had cancer near his eye, he was my best ever worker. They cut it out but it grew back so I shot him. I've never had another sick one I couldn't treat myself and just keep them comfortable if they are dying of old age. I think vets play on people's heartstrings a lot and I could of bought a brand new Landcruiser the money I've spent on dogs over the years at vets, lol.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Who has has actually taken there ferrets to the vet for something everyone saying they would but who has done it and how much did it cost most things you can do yourself not it less it's something very Bad and it's too late anyway 

Apart from having hobs snipped I’ve taken ferrets that needed teeth out which we’re making the gums infected. I’ve taken ferrets to have cancerous lumps removed. All have gone on to live much longer happier lives. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, socks said:

Apart from having hobs snipped I’ve taken ferrets that needed teeth out which we’re making the gums infected. I’ve taken ferrets to have cancerous lumps removed. All have gone on to live much longer happier lives. 

Good lad 

What do lads do with ferrets that don't make the grade ones that u can't handle bite like fck junkie round holes and lads don't say they all make the grade fs or all mine work there from a good line do use pts or pet home ? ones that lack the pray drive as to speak 

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

What do lads do with ferrets that don't make the grade ones that u can't handle bite like fck junkie round holes and lads don't say they all make the grade fs or all mine work there from a good line do use pts or pet home ? ones that lack the pray drive as to speak 

There is only one place for a ferret like that. 

• Like 2

Tbh you do get attached to some ferrets, the ones that work well for you and they all should be cared for as good as you can but I think you have to draw the line somewhere. Heart transplants, putting them on kidney dialysis machines may be too much lol, it's a ferret for fck sakes. It's going to get to the stage no one will be able to afford to keep even a pet budgie.

11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Ferrets that make the grade here are also pets for my kids an are let you run about the yard on nice days with the dogs an kids, why would I let it suffer if I knew the vet could help it, it’s only Fcuking money, we won’t be buried with it ?

True but I'm not going to starve myself to give a ferret a kidney transplant, they were supposed to provide the poor with fresh rabbit to eat and still are in some places.

2 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

I send mine to Ireland....

• Haha 4
12 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Nobody talking about transplants mate, general patch up an treated for any ailments, don’t even think I could afford a transplant for the kids never mind a ferret, but again that don’t mean I’d let it suffer ?

No I was just exaggerating but you can imagine in the future with animal liberation, some states in the US dogs have more rights than people. Nobody will be able to afford a companion animal.

I have kept Ferrets for many years and i have never had one that needed treatment from a Vet i might be lucky but my old Rabbiting partner  was just the same ! if they are kept in a large Cage or better still a Shed in good clean Bedding fresh food and Water there is little that can go wrong with them . I have had them go down rapidly  and die over night and trouble with Milk retention in Jills and even a couple killed underground but nothing else that common sense could not cure though i did have one go in a burrow  and come out minus its tail , but in answer to the question i would not hesitate to do the best for any animal that i kept.

As for putting down a bad or non worker  i myself believe that bad workers are made not born that way,   some in my opinion can be slow starters and need a little more time but they start after Xmas they have to go and i don't need a vet for that

• Like 1
2 hours ago, micky said:

I have kept Ferrets for many years and i have never had one that needed treatment from a Vet i might be lucky but my old Rabbiting partner  was just the same ! if they are kept in a large Cage or better still a Shed in good clean Bedding fresh food and Water there is little that can go wrong with them . I have had them go down rapidly  and die over night and trouble with Milk retention in Jills and even a couple killed underground but nothing else that common sense could not cure though i did have one go in a burrow  and come out minus its tail , but in answer to the question i would not hesitate to do the best for any animal that i kept.

As for putting down a bad or non worker  i myself believe that bad workers are made not born that way,   some in my opinion can be slow starters and need a little more time but they start after Xmas they have to go and i don't need a vet for that

i would have to disagree with last bit....i have had two hob ferrets that just would not work ..one i kept for about 3 years (god knows why)....it actually escaped....i didnt look for it....

the other was an absolutely fantastic specimen of a big white hob...again he would go in a warren wander round and bolt or kill nothing....it got to the point we were watching muliple rabbits dropping in little warrens...and nothing.....then we started putting him in at the end of a dig....on a rabbits backside after the other ferret had been lifted out...

i kept that hob a full season ....cos i really thought he would just click one day...gave him away as pet    

• Like 4

True words TOMO..?

I've worked ferrets for over 60 years, frequently on a daily basis, and it is a massive misnomer to glibly state that ALL ferrets will work, if given the chance....

As you know,.. this is simply not the case..?

And THIS is WHY ,..some of us will go out of our way, to retain the services, of our best workers?

Most ferrets can put up a good show, especially on easy warrens and places where the rabbits are willing to shift, but same as with many other keen hunters,.. both animal and human,.. there are variables...

It would be foolish to argue or even debate, such a controversial subject, but facts are, " Things get serious when money is involved"....I've lost count of the time when I have been working a large chalk warren for a Farmer or Landowner, who is determined to sit quietly in his Range Rover , watching and possibly thinking, I do hope that I have not wasted my money?

Talk is cheap, and trust me, when you have dropped three or four ferrets into an ancient labyrinth of prehistoric chalk and flint tunnels,.. and a few minutes have passed,... all I can say is,. your old bum soon starts twitching...? 

What a relief, when Coney after Coney, starts to bunce into the Long Nets...and how comforting to see a quality ferret follow the bolter, close on behind, only to pause at the burrow mouth and then, return immediately back down into the bowls of the earth...

The Farmer can now hear, the thunder from down under, even from the comfort of his truck,.. and thank feck he is smiling like a Cheshire cat, as more and more rabbits, leave the safety of the bury...

Yeah,...Its a great feeling to own reliable, trustworthy, working Dogs and Ferrets,..in fact,..it is essential....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 6