Does anyone take their ferrets to the vets?

Well I’m an old timer and I take my ferrets to the vets if I think it’s worth it. I only keep 100 percent workers and if I think they can be saved by a vet then it’s worth the trip. 

• Like 11
35 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Some folk don't quite appreciate, just how valuable (££££)  a top class working ferret, or a team of reliable workers actually is..?

old.jpg

Yes old Phil I would say you our right about people not appreciate good working ferrets But I can't justifying giving a vet 200 pounds for a scan and maybe another 150 pounds for a blood test then on top of that a consultation fee too it doesn't add up with me and 99 off the times they die anyway 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Yes old Phil I would say you our right about people not appreciate good working ferrets But I can't justifying giving a vet 200 pounds for a scan and maybe another 150 pounds for a blood test then on top of that a consultation fee too it doesn't add up with me and 99 off the times they die anyway 

Get a new vet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who has has actually taken there ferrets to the vet for something everyone saying they would but who has done it and how much did it cost most things you can do yourself not it less it's something very Bad and it's too late anyway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Who has has actually taken there ferrets to the vet for something everyone saying they would but who has done it and how much did it cost most things you can do yourself not it less it's something very Bad and it's too late anyway 

We are all free to do as we please fellah....?

IF you take your valuable lurchers, dirt dogs and  ferrets to a Hamster and Budgie Vet,...its often going to be,.. a wasted exercise,...fecking costly as well...?

This is why , many of us try to seek out a Greyhound or Running Dog Vet,...and also look for a modern , forward thinking Surgery, that is sympathetic and knowledgeable about Ferrets, and understands the essential work that they do.

We have all had our fingers burnt, and it isn't nice...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7

Wee have good greyhounds vets and running dogs vets here actually use the one at the greyhound track for my dogs but sadly not to many vets know much about ferrets as I said before you can treat most things urself all the best ? lads 

I did once after getting ferrets again after 20 years without. He said you do know she's dying? I said yes I thought so. He pts, no charge. That's when our local vets wasn't part of a "Practice" who've bought up all the local vets as a business proposition ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Yip had mine to vets a few times, had hobs an Jill’s castrated an speyed, had mastitis treated an needed antibiotics a few times from working with rats, but like I said if I feel they need it then they will get it ?

Had rat bits before loads off times got antibiotics off the farmers worked a treat mate antibiotics injection never done them any harm at all I know people going to say you can't give ferrets some kinds of antibiotics used to buy a bottle for a fiver done dogs anall with it but each to there own all the best 

I take mine to the vet and I got my first ferrets in 1978... It only takes a few ferret keepers to use a vet practice for the vets to learn about them so it's a win win. I'm fortunate to have a private vet practice near me and they are pragmatic, £22 to get in the door, meds on top but are reasonable and when I don't have a vasectomised hob I pay for a bottle of the Jill jab hormone and they store it. I've seen enough cancer symptoms I don't go for that but other injuries are well worth while. About one a year gets an abcess in the mouth or throat from eating bone, there's also the occasional post fight infection. I've taken one for Eye removal after rat bite, one survived a dog bite after it escaped etc etc. So in summary, apart from late life cancer, I take my ferrets to the vet in the same way I take my dogs

• Like 4