Collie cross Whippet

Very Nice what is she like? Many many years ago I trained a  whippet in basic obedience and was impressed with how clever it was. I have had nothing to do with Greyhounds. Are they much like Whippets. I have heard they are not the brightest. But as I say no experience with them at all.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go to the greyhound first then go back to the whippet that's just me now here's collie x greyhound x whippet all the best witch ever way you go 

Cross them and get the best of both worlds.   

? Yeah, I get what folk are saying with regards to the tractability of Greyhounds,...but,...we have to remember that the majority of these superlative canine athletes , have been conditioned to go wit

Posted Images

8 hours ago, BobDown said:

You don’t see many of them a bout. Be handy for hares on tricky land  and all 

Fs don't say that Mchull go mad lol yes mate if u get the right one they can knock over hares np at all thing is they get in that tight to them the hare under pressure right away ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 17/06/2022 at 13:58, gnipper said:

Is there much difference in temperament between beddies and whippets? The whippets I've seen have just acted like leggy terriers. 

Whippets are easy to live with and so are bedy whippets ,they make great field dogs and fsmily companions 

I've had collie whippet x beddy whippet that was good dog but never had a straight collie x whippet, 

Maybe someone like old Phil be best one to answer your question qs he as worked similar x but with bit of grey added to the mix 

54 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Fs don't say that Mchull go mad lol yes mate if u get the right one they can knock over hares np at all thing is they get in that tight to them the hare under pressure right away ? 

Not on the slop January tho ☻️

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

On the small fields round hear they would be handy. A lad I know had a whippet that was handy on them but would cramp up after a few spins 

2 hours ago, tomfromwest said:

Very Nice what is she like? Many many years ago I trained a  whippet in basic obedience and was impressed with how clever it was. I have had nothing to do with Greyhounds. Are they much like Whippets. I have heard they are not the brightest. But as I say no experience with them at all.

I love and have always had whippet types but I wouldn't say they are overly intelligent. I've had one grey I raised as a lurcher and I really liked him too but he wasn't the brightest. I think both are very driven and game when hunting and that's what I like about them.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Temperament has nothing to do with the concept of such a hybridisation, but more so with the mind-set, of the individuals used...

You get bold Collies and bold whippets,.. and also, the complete opposite, so as I always say, Temperament is King.?

I completely agree. Unfortunately, although most of the litter were, as I say, fairly "average" in temperament, my bitch (Skye) and one of the males definitely took after "the complete opposite." 

When I bought her the breeder had already named her Sky but I added an 'e'...not that she could read?...although she was undoubtedly the most biddable dog I've ever owned. I later discovered that Sky was actually short for her original name...Shy Sky! That should've been a warning.

Oddly enough OldPhil, I once took her to a whippet racing meeting in the New Forest (not to run, just to watch). I think that would've been mid 90s? I got chatting to a friend of a friend there called Tony and he told me his friend would like the look of Skye...his friend turned out to be you! I don't think she'd have been your sort at all though. ? She looked great but she was undoubtedly my least productive lurcher.  

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I love and have always had whippet types but I wouldn't say they are overly intelligent. I've had one grey I raised as a lurcher and I really liked him too but he wasn't the brightest. I think both are very driven and game when hunting and that's what I like about them.

I hunter whippets and whippets x greyhounds for many years one off the best marking and bushing dogs was a whippet I owned it could find a rabbit in a hay stack as to speak smashing wee rabbiting dogs if you get the right one 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Ferretman65 said:

I hunter whippets and whippets x greyhounds for many years one off the best marking and bushing dogs was a whippet I owned it could find a rabbit in a hay stack as to speak smashing wee rabbiting dogs if you get the right one 

They use their nose more than what people think. They are the best pure bred for rabbits I reckon, even whippets from pet stock pick up the job pretty quick.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, BobDown said:

On the small fields round hear they would be handy. A lad I know had a whippet that was handy on them but would cramp up after a few spins 

my bitch from a pure kill the tricky land bobdown 

but had fun over the years with whippet greys like you say will spin a few up exciting to watch on smaller land 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

They use their nose more than what people think. They are the best pure bred for rabbits I reckon, even whippets from pet stock pick up the job pretty quick.

this one has been marking since six and a half months old. really surprised me how good her nose is. 

Screenshot_20220606_123417_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 9

My 1st "lurcher" was a 1st cross collie/whippet 50 odd years ago, i learnt a lot from her, mostly not to get another ?. She was very biddable and intelligent but alas lacked the pace to catch, unless everything was in her favour, so not what a young lad wanted. For a general companion/busher they would be great but id go for a collie grey 1st cross or better still a 2nd cross if i wanted to actually catch a half decent bag.

• Like 1
On 19/06/2022 at 10:39, Neal said:

I completely agree. Unfortunately, although most of the litter were, as I say, fairly "average" in temperament, my bitch (Skye) and one of the males definitely took after "the complete opposite." 

When I bought her the breeder had already named her Sky but I added an 'e'...not that she could read?...although she was undoubtedly the most biddable dog I've ever owned. I later discovered that Sky was actually short for her original name...Shy Sky! That should've been a warning.

Oddly enough OldPhil, I once took her to a whippet racing meeting in the New Forest (not to run, just to watch). I think that would've been mid 90s? I got chatting to a friend of a friend there called Tony and he told me his friend would like the look of Skye...his friend turned out to be you! I don't think she'd have been your sort at all though. ? She looked great but she was undoubtedly my least productive lurcher.  

Hi, yes I know the guy who you were speaking to,...he is (in my opinion)  an authority on the Non-Ped Racing Whippets, and we have known each other, and frequently hunted together,.. for over forty years...?

He knows the type of lurcher that I prefer,.. but as you so rightly say,. .its not all about looks...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5

Could imagine the collie whippet being a handy dog. The guy who bred mine was looking for a decent collie whippet to stud his bitch. But couldn’t find anything suitable so it was a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy in the end. Over his collie, whippet, bull, grey bitch. Which produced this nutter. 

9E6F8EA5-7C96-4882-A91E-57C96C512443.png

2801DFC7-A6A3-467F-8A1D-53409004DD36.png

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Runner96 said:

Could imagine the collie whippet being a handy dog. The guy who bred mine was looking for a decent collie whippet to stud his bitch. But couldn’t find anything suitable so it was a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy in the end. Over his collie, whippet, bull, grey bitch. Which produced this nutter. 

9E6F8EA5-7C96-4882-A91E-57C96C512443.png

2801DFC7-A6A3-467F-8A1D-53409004DD36.png

always liked the look of that little dog ?