Collie cross Whippet

57 minutes ago, Neal said:

These are three from the litter. The first was my bitch, the second was the chunkier male and the black and white bitch was the only non-merle in the litter. Hopefully this gives you some kind of idea of variety, but don't forget that all collies are different and so all their offspring won't necessarily be the same.

IMG_20220618_154441.jpg

IMG_20220618_154546.jpg

IMG_20220618_154518.jpg

Nice types, those three. 

And, dare I say it, but yours and the black bitch also look a tad bully.  Very nice though.  ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go to the greyhound first then go back to the whippet that's just me now here's collie x greyhound x whippet all the best witch ever way you go 

Cross them and get the best of both worlds.   

? Yeah, I get what folk are saying with regards to the tractability of Greyhounds,...but,...we have to remember that the majority of these superlative canine athletes , have been conditioned to go wit

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Nice types, those three. 

And, dare I say it, but yours and the black bitch also look a tad bully.  Very nice though.  ?

That'll be those squinty blue eyes.?? She definitely wasn't bully in character.

On 17/06/2022 at 12:59, tomfromwest said:

This must be very variable but generaly speaking what is the temperament of the above pairing. I mean straight cross. Are they more like the Whippet or Collie in temperament. 

I've tried this First Cross, Whippet/Collie lurcher on several occasions...?

Temperament has nothing to do with the concept of such a hybridisation, but more so with the mind-set, of the individuals used...

You get bold Collies and bold whippets,.. and also, the complete opposite, so as I always say, Temperament is King.?

Many of the examples that folk term Collie/Whippets, are anything but,.. Collie/Whippets...

Personally, I've never favoured the F1 hybrid, and instead, I prefer to use a wee bit of Whippet/Greyhound blood,...the resulting pups are still whippet-like in appearance, but seem to hold up better, when worked in heavy brash and woodland... I've also experience F1 hybrids that have heavily favoured the Collie and the progeny of such a union has sometimes turned out a bit coarse and lacking in that famous whippet speed. Easy enough to train to work around the warren , and although rarely on a par with a canny working collie,.. whippets sure ain't dumb, and are easily schooled...?

On the face of it, for the rabbiting man with a penchant for ferreting and hedgerow mouching, the collie x whippet would seem to be the idea, perfect cross for the job...

Curiously enough, this type of lurcher is not all that common....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11
27 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Many of the examples that folk term Collie/Whippets, are anything but,..

img273.tif.jpg

Similar thing I've found, when some people have said to me 'he/she's a 'bull cross'.

On further enquiry, said dog or bitch, is a collie/grey x deer/bull/grey x saluki/bull/grey x whippet/collie/grey, or similar!!

Certainly ISN'T a bull cross.

• Like 1

All very interesting. This is my first Collie and perhaps my last Dog. I find the Collie fascinating after a lifetime with the German Shepherds. Many GSD"s but only two absolute top quality Dogs (temperament). I wish I had come to collies earlier but not so. I have been very interested in lurchers all this time and the care that goes into their breeding compared with the rubbish principles adopted by the pedigree fraternity. Some time ago I travelled from Cornnwall to just north of Glasgow for a Plummer Terrier. Whilst there they told me that they took a lot of Plummers stock around the time when he was finishing. They also said that the only Lurcher he was interested in was Collie/Greyhound do you know if this is so. They also said that they were breeding from Plummer lurcher stock. 

All very interesting. This is my first Collie and perhaps my last Dog. I find the Collie fascinating after a lifetime with the German Shepherds. Many GSD"s but only two absolute top quality Dogs (temperament). I wish I had come to collies earlier but not so. I have been very interested in lurchers all this time and the care that goes into their breeding compared with the rubbish principles adopted by the pedigree fraternity. Some time ago I travelled from Cornnwall to just north of Glasgow for a Plummer Terrier. Whilst there they told me that they took a lot of Plummers stock around the time when he was finishing. They also said that the only Lurcher he was interested in was Collie/Greyhound do you know if this is so. They also said that they were breeding from Plummer lurcher stock. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, tomfromwest said:

Merle was the start of a dynasty 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

That's wee bitch iam starting to work this season she's 8 months now whippet x greyhound first cross 

20220504_205148.jpg

You don’t see many of them a bout. Be handy for hares on tricky land  and all