Collie cross Whippet

4 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

They use their nose more than what people think. They are the best pure bred for rabbits I reckon, even whippets from pet stock pick up the job pretty quick.

My brother has had three whippets, one from show stock, one from 'working' stock and one from racing and he's said that, although different in their own ways, he'd find it hard to pick any individual as his best at catching in general.

3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

He knows the type of lurcher that I prefer,.. but as you so rightly say,. .its not all about looks...?

...but she was REALLY pretty.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go to the greyhound first then go back to the whippet that's just me now here's collie x greyhound x whippet all the best witch ever way you go 

Cross them and get the best of both worlds.   

? Yeah, I get what folk are saying with regards to the tractability of Greyhounds,...but,...we have to remember that the majority of these superlative canine athletes , have been conditioned to go wit

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Neal said:

My brother has had three whippets, one from show stock, one from 'working' stock and one from racing and he's said that, although different in their own ways, he'd find it hard to pick any individual as his best at catching in general

The main difference I've found is the working bred whippets seem to know the game even as very young pups, some inherent knowledge and you may get more good workers from a litter but I couldn't say that for sure as I've only owned a couple from pet stock which were both decent rabbiters.

• Like 1
On 19/06/2022 at 08:04, tomfromwest said:

Very Nice what is she like? Many many years ago I trained a  whippet in basic obedience and was impressed with how clever it was. I have had nothing to do with Greyhounds. Are they much like Whippets. I have heard they are not the brightest. But as I say no experience with them at all.

When people state that greyhounds are not bright I often wonder what tasks they have been given to do and are found to be mentally deficient? Of course such fast, powerful and determined hounds are not ideal for many tasks in the field when a slower, but quick enough and less driven, but driven enough dog will catch and be more suitable than a pure greyhound. But that's nothing to do with a dog's IQ. Even said, coursing greyhounds would sometimes learn to anticipate a hares movement or hold back and let their "opponent" do the pressing but make the kill. Not a desired trait in a coursing greyhound.

Not having a go at you tomfromwest, just writing my thoughts. I do have not extensive experience of owning and running pure greyhounds and it has mostly been taking out "neighbours" ex-racers that were kennelled just for breeding projects that rarely came to fruition and I hate to see dogs wasting away in a kennel. The ex-racers I did know were great dogs, natural hunters and by no means daft. Certainly on a par with terriers, but then again many regard terriers as being unintelligent, not true.

I think many tend to underestimate the intelligence of dogs whatever the breed and overestimate their own. And so endeth the sermon. Rant over.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, eastcoast said:

The ex-racers I did know were great dogs, natural hunters and by no means daft. Certainly on a par with terriers,

I really like both whippets and greys but they cant compare to a working terriers intelligence. Terriers may appear stupid at times due to their gameness but for ingenuity they leave most hounds for dead. The whippets do surprise me at times though.

13 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I really like both whippets and greys but they cant compare to a working terriers intelligence. Terriers may appear stupid at times due to their gameness but for ingenuity they leave most hounds for dead. The whippets do surprise me at times though.

1F7087E2-B2C3-4BC3-952B-1A1F452269C5.jpeg

• Like 14
15 minutes ago, socks said:

I'm still trying to cross my Parson with my whippet bitches, putting the bitch in a hole for height but as soon as you interfere with the mating he won't perform. I haven't seen any decent whippet terriers over here.

IMG_E0785.JPG

8 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I'm still trying to cross my Parson with my whippet bitches, putting the bitch in a hole for height but as soon as you interfere with the mating he won't perform. I haven't seen any decent whippet terriers over here.

IMG_E0785.JPG

Get some straws off him and AI mate 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, eastcoast said:

When people state that greyhounds are not bright I often wonder what tasks they have been given to do and are found to be mentally deficient? Of course such fast, powerful and determined hounds are not ideal for many tasks in the field when a slower, but quick enough and less driven, but driven enough dog will catch and be more suitable than a pure greyhound. But that's nothing to do with a dog's IQ. Even said, coursing greyhounds would sometimes learn to anticipate a hares movement or hold back and let their "opponent" do the pressing but make the kill. Not a desired trait in a coursing greyhound.

Not having a go at you tomfromwest, just writing my thoughts. I do have not extensive experience of owning and running pure greyhounds and it has mostly been taking out "neighbours" ex-racers that were kennelled just for breeding projects that rarely came to fruition and I hate to see dogs wasting away in a kennel. The ex-racers I did know were great dogs, natural hunters and by no means daft. Certainly on a par with terriers, but then again many regard terriers as being unintelligent, not true.

I think many tend to underestimate the intelligence of dogs whatever the breed and overestimate their own. And so endeth the sermon. Rant over.

Good Post that eastcoast. 

? Yeah, I get what folk are saying with regards to the tractability of Greyhounds,...but,...we have to remember that the majority of these superlative canine athletes , have been conditioned to go with the flow, and to use their basic instincts.

A racing Greyhound that waits for the command to get on,.. or sits quietly, having a bit of a ponder as to the best way to catch a particular critter,...does not reign for long...?

By the same token, I've schooled Greyhound puppies for the rabbiting game,.. and I firmly believe they would have satisfied, very many, contemporary lurcher enthusiasts...

One might imagine this to be a folly,. but in reality, given how lackadaisical a few lads actually are, when it comes to training and basic obedience,...I wonder just how canny and sagacious, they really need their lurcher to be....?

I've run plenty of gear with Greyhounds,...and in my opinion,...they sure ain't thick or dumb....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 13
On 21/06/2022 at 13:54, socks said:

1F7087E2-B2C3-4BC3-952B-1A1F452269C5.jpeg

Nice cross that,  i have some a little similar and the size.. 

not a  straight cross but from mongrel parents made up of various terriers collie and whippet and dash of lab and spaniel proper melting pot..

This one came out quite racy

IMG_20220607_102827.jpg

• Like 5