Collie cross Whippet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would go to the greyhound first then go back to the whippet that's just me now here's collie x greyhound x whippet all the best witch ever way you go 

Cross them and get the best of both worlds.   

? Yeah, I get what folk are saying with regards to the tractability of Greyhounds,...but,...we have to remember that the majority of these superlative canine athletes , have been conditioned to go wit

Posted Images

I have had several beddywhippets, both first cross and line bred. some have thrown more to the beddy and some more to the Whippet in both temperament and looks. it's pot luck in my opinion, can't see this cross being any different. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I have had several beddywhippets, both first cross and line bred. some have thrown more to the beddy and some more to the Whippet in both temperament and looks. it's pot luck in my opinion, can't see this cross being any different. 

Exactly all depends on which way they throw same as the shape 

38 minutes ago, fred90 said:

Is there much difference in temperament between beddies and whippets? The whippets I've seen have just acted like leggy terriers. 

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Is there much difference in temperament between beddies and whippets? The whippets I've seen have just acted like leggy terriers. 

well this is my first whippet. there is some difference. I think beddywhippets can be a bit stubborn. individual dogs vary a bit. one thing I have found with the first cross is they can be a bit sensitive. they certainly wouldn't respond well to the big stick, raised voice type of people. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, gnipper said:

I think you are probably correct. Does nobody work that cross? I have a Working Type collie that is magic as a companion and I was wondering if I would like a Collie/Whippet as my next dog.

I once had a collie x whippet, but it was many years ago now. Mine was very sensitive but, in her defence, she was only my second pup and I made the grave mistake of picking the wrong pup in the litter. She was already very nervous even as a pup.

From what I can remember from speaking to the breeder after, there were six pups (half male half female) and all but one were merles. One of the males was a tad sensitive (like my bitch) the other two bitches and one of the males were average build and temperament. The final male was more solidly built and more "solid" in character. He seemed to be more of a character and took after the beardy in them a bit more. The sire was one of Hancock's collies called Tory (Richard x Katie) so 3/4 border 1/4 beardy. The dam was a racing whippet with one quarter greyhound blood. Hope this helps. 

Don't let anyone tell you that a whippet can't take the weight of a collie cross as the whole litter were just as slim or not as the average first cross from a greyhound. I can see if I can find a photo if it's any help.

4 hours ago, tomfromwest said:

I think you are probably correct. Does nobody work that cross? I have a Working Type collie that is magic as a companion and I was wondering if I would like a Collie/Whippet as my next dog.

I would go to the greyhound first then go back to the whippet that's just me now here's collie x greyhound x whippet all the best witch ever way you go 

20220331_154026.jpg

• Like 15
22 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

20220331_154026.jpg

Lovely looking Bitch?? lots of collie come through. What is she like and how old in the pic.?

3 hours ago, Neal said:

I once had a collie x whippet, but it was many years ago now. Mine was very sensitive but, in her defence, she was only my second pup and I made the grave mistake of picking the wrong pup in the litter. She was already very nervous even as a pup.

From what I can remember from speaking to the breeder after, there were six pups (half male half female) and all but one were merles. One of the males was a tad sensitive (like my bitch) the other two bitches and one of the males were average build and temperament. The final male was more solidly built and more "solid" in character. He seemed to be more of a character and took after the beardy in them a bit more. The sire was one of Hancock's collies called Tory (Richard x Katie) so 3/4 border 1/4 beardy. The dam was a racing whippet with one quarter greyhound blood. Hope this helps. 

Don't let anyone tell you that a whippet can't take the weight of a collie cross as the whole litter were just as slim or not as the average first cross from a greyhound. I can see if I can find a photo if it's any help.

Yes thanks.

20220130_141118.jpg.3bf3537b706a20c935162c375c15c0da.jpgThis is My Bitch 10 years old and fit as a fiddle. Always one step ahead of me. Rescue dog so spayed. Shame I would love to have had a pup from her. This Bitch changed me from having Dogs as a first choice all other things being equal. Temperament is king though. 

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, tomfromwest said:

Lovely looking Bitch?? lots of collie come through. What is she like and how old in the pic.?

That was took 27 years ago mate she was 2 years old there smashing wee bitch she was sadly she got killed out lamping one night hit a stone wall going In for a strike at a rabbit she was one of the dogs that had no respect for herself mad as a hatter 

17 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

That was took 27 years ago mate she was 2 years old there smashing wee bitch she was sadly she got killed out lamping one night hit a stone wall going In for a strike at a rabbit she was one of the dogs that had no respect for herself mad as a hatter 

Thats a sad story you must have been gutted. My Fly is totaly uncaring of her own safety. If I am retrieving with her and throw an object I have to be careful in grass that there is no big stones around. She goes in so hard the result could be a smashed Jaw. Usually I just hide objects and send her to find them. More interesting for them.thumb_IMG20220426123830_1024.jpg.7f6993170edf6b101af93520e4dfd4e1.jpg 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tomfromwest said:

Thats a sad story you must have been gutted. My Fly is totaly uncaring of her own safety. If I am retrieving with her and throw an object I have to be careful in grass that there is no big stones around. She goes in so hard the result could be a smashed Jaw. Usually I just hide objects and send her to find them. More interesting for them.thumb_IMG20220426123830_1024.jpg.7f6993170edf6b101af93520e4dfd4e1.jpg 

That's wee bitch iam starting to work this season she's 8 months now whippet x greyhound first cross 

20220504_205148.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tomfromwest said:

Yes thanks.

These are three from the litter. The first was my bitch, the second was the chunkier male and the black and white bitch was the only non-merle in the litter. Hopefully this gives you some kind of idea of variety, but don't forget that all collies are different and so all their offspring won't necessarily be the same.

IMG_20220618_154441.jpg

IMG_20220618_154546.jpg

IMG_20220618_154518.jpg

• Like 10