• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just been out to change some camera SD cards and walk the hounds and saw this, caught a flash of white disappear through a hedge when I ran round the other side I saw 5/6 roe sneaking off including a

I may be mistaken ,I only caught a glimpse and he was moving real fast ,but driving through Bradford I am 90% sure I spotted a Whiteman ,at first I thought it was an albino paki but  he  looked quite

Leucistic starling,  Newquay couple of weeks ago. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, sussex said:

G , you got any more pictures of it ..the head doesn’t look right for a roe , I might be wrong it a fuzzy picture .Did you see it’s back end …? 

No sorry mate, I was running and taking pics into the sun at the time, it was with a group of roe and we only get roe and muntjac wild here so unless it’s an escapee from somewhere then roe is all it could be ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, sussex said:

G , you got any more pictures of it ..the head doesn’t look right for a roe , I might be wrong it a fuzzy picture .Did you see it’s back end …? 

i thought it may have been a fallow  doe!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

White or albino....

They’ll be white , 99.99% of the white fallow are just a colour variant , down in the south east they are common .In winter , in woodland they give up the deers position like paid traitors ?

I may be mistaken ,I only caught a glimpse and he was moving real fast ,but driving through Bradford I am 90% sure I spotted a Whiteman ,at first I thought it was an albino paki but  he  looked quite clean and there were no young females about .

• Haha 7
1 hour ago, sussex said:

They’ll be white , 99.99% of the white fallow are just a colour variant , down in the south east they are common .In winter , in woodland they give up the deers position like paid traitors ?

Yeah, I've seen them in the New Forest before.

Also seen several albino squirrels near me in the last few years but, as someone said, they never last long.

I've found that a few white feathers on crows and blackbirds is quite common. There's a crow I see with fairly white wings when I walk my daughter to school and earlier this year I saw a blackbird with a white patch on the neck (like a ring ouzel but lop-sided). It also had a small patch above its right eye so that it looked as though it was raining an eyebrow like Jack Nicholson.?

19 hours ago, neil r said:

I see this partial albino blackbird most mornings in the same place when I’m out with the dogs . There was 2 of them , the other had a full white head and neck but I haven’t seen it for a week or so 

3005E635-762C-4A9A-9EA4-01455265FED9.jpeg

I see albino jackdaw few weeks back and they a few with white wings and unders ,you get albinos in lot of animals,I used to breed reptiles  back in late 80s early 90s albino ball pythons and reticulated pythons and certain boa started to produce albinos and made big bucks but now you can get some crazy morths that go for thousands but breeders are messing about with genetics and all kinds of things happen like star gazing "snake will hold its head up and rock from side to side ", 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

In my lifetime, so far, I've seen, albino foxes, albino badgers and an albino fallow buck. The genetic malfunction is not that uncommon, but sadly they usually don't last very long in the wild....

Albino can happen in any animal qnd it can be down to several things but with birds and reptiles it can be down to temp the eggs hatches at ,if albino mates with a normal all offspring will carry albino genetics even if they not themselves so if any of these mate back to each other or albino the young will be albino or some will .

• Like 1

Temperature can't change the colour during incubation, it can affect gender in some species though. 

I think a lot of crows with white wings can be due to stress or malnourishment in young crows and can moult out normal next season.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Temperature can't change the colour during incubation, it can affect gender in some species though. 

I think a lot of crows with white wings can be due to stress or malnourishment in young crows and can moult out normal next season.

Incubation temperature actually does have a big effect on the colour of leopard geckos but it won't change the morph. Higher temps will produce darker, more muted colours and lower temps will produce bright, vivid colours.