Chaining Powerful Dogs

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) Here we go. I promised myself I'd kick this one off. I'm hoping to compare notes with others who are accustomed to occasionally needing to secure powerful and perhaps heavy, or even just plain downright bouncy boisterous Dogs on a Chain set up, for what ever reason. Afterall, let's not forget that a sixty pound leaper is every bit as likely to one day exert that magical snap of pressure which we've, too many of us, seen snap a ~ perhaps rather unfortunately named then? ~ " Snap " Collar Attatchment as a hundred pound plus lunger and leaner.

Anyway, I've long since fell into the habit of providing myself with several quick deployment anchor points around the place. One just never knows when or why it may simply be handy to pop ones Dogs on their own light, strong, well anchored chains. It may only be for five minutes. But that first five minutes can actually be amongst the most testing to ones rig. As the Dogs bounce around in the excitement of the sudden restraint. Or the advent of what ever activity requires their restraint in the first place. What ever. Fact that they're chained at all indicates we want them so. Thus quite the opposite would be one of them becoming Unchained. Fastest way of making that happen, of course, is a weak link in that rig.

So, assuming we have a top quality collar on the Dog, sort of thing our own Strong Stuff produces. What do we attatch to that Ring? After years of experiment and experience (not all of it very nice!) I'm now rather focusing on these things. Used for full sized Livestock and designed to handle pulls in the 550 Ilbs region, they're called " Panic Snaps ". Having only relatively recently discovered them, I wondered who else might be familiar and what ye views / experiences might be?

Here's some shots of one. I hope these will give ye the idea, if ye've not come across them yet:

Panic Snap

post-3041-1200998453.jpg

post-3041-1200998518.jpg

post-3041-1200998567.jpg

post-3041-1200998598.jpg

post-3041-1200998614.jpg

As, I hope, ye may work out from those views then, that's a sprung, sliding collar. Ye draw it back and the hinged retaining ring flies open under the least bit of pulling pressure. Or else just drops open under gravitational influences. However, what's not to be seen there is that it's completely seperated from any exertion at the front end. Thus ye Dog can be pulling like a train against it, or else sat there. It's still just as easy to release him with a tug on that sliding collar. None of this trying to haul the Dog back with one hand as ye struggle to operate the other types of clip with ye free hand. So; If ye Dog simply Must bite everyone in the yard, and get about it pronto ..... :laugh:

Down sides? I've had one person suggest that the chain itself can become wrapped around the snap in such a way as to drag back that collar. I suppose so, in the great scheme of things. Just as a Dog " can " get a leg or it's neck so tied up in a chain as to break the bone. Or lightening could strike the steel chain, I suppose?

All in all though; I Like these things. I'm not looking for a 'My kit's better than yours' debate here, thankyou. I'd just like to hear others views of these and what ever other Collar Attatchments ye've tried when Chaining Dogs. Good and bad, please. Let's have a proper look at this extremely important issue, shall we? :yes:

ditch i have used these in the past whilst doing variouse protection training jobs and although they are a good clip they are very easy to accidently release ... you have an 80lbs plus dog excitedly bouncing around and you go in to calm him down and before you know it he is off and running and you are left there wondering how the feck that happened ............

ditch i have used these in the past whilst doing variouse protection training jobs and although they are a good clip they are very easy to accidently release ... you have an 80lbs plus dog excitedly bouncing around and you go in to calm him down and before you know it he is off and running and you are left there wondering how the feck that happened ............

ive only used them for horses and foals but they are easy to use and work really well. dont know whether the way you'd use them on a dog could lead to accidental slip ups . will try one on my 10 month old presa pup who is as weighty and excitable as they come and let you know ;) /size]

Guest Ditch_Shitter
you go in to calm him down...

:hmm: Socks; Is that to imply though that it's the normal, physical contact of the Handler which causes the cock up? I mean, I can well imagine one automatically laying a placating hand on the Dogs neck - as ye do - and the Dogs actions then bringing about the fatefull meeting of hand and steel .....

But, in ye own experience; Have they ever popped off purely due to the Dogs actions, please?

Flame; Indeed. They seem trustworthy with full sized equines and bovines. I can't see their base strength being an issue with Any Dog then. This is why I'm probing the issue of how Dogs tend to behave differantly to livestock. And my own donkey has long since prove the very B*stard for snapping all manner of brass hooks at a whim. Bet the bugger couldn't just throw his head back and gallop away from one of these things though!

yes mate they will come loose with no human contact at all ... if the chain lead etc becomes twisted knotted etc sand rubs up against it when under tension it will pop open ... also the dog can rub against something and the action will be released ... i would class them as 85% safe ............

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Rub against something ? Yeppers. That's a tough one to circumvent, isn't it? And because the release collar's so close to the Dog Collar ..... Yes. I can just see a Dog giving itself a nice rub up against a wall when fate throws that few unthinkable prerequisettes together and off we go. Bit of a 'Million to One Shot'. But then some b*****d'll probably win the lottery this weekend. Hmmmm .....

Mac; Reason I've moved on from pretty much that set up myself is the " Shackle " (as I know them) there. The 'Chain Link' with the screw collar. I've had those perform the " impossible " and unscrew themselves that many times .....

Know what I do now, instead? I incorperate ..... well, hang about. Picture will be easier than a written description. F*cking brilliant, these things are!

post-3041-1201010693.jpg

Not even sure what they'd properly call them. But what Ditch Shitter has to beat closed with a Lump Hammer; No f*cking Dog I've ever met is going to pull apart!

And That, my friend, is now an integral part of all my own rigs. Those and Lots of strong swivells ~ connected by these things :good:

This is one of the best type chain tethering systems for restraining a powerfull dog.

swivel20link20chain20seek4.jpg

i reckon these are average , my dog winston always gets off when these are on so ive abandoned using them

so ive got 2 bullsnaps on just incase one breaks or comes off

cant have the big fella running around the farm lane all day , someone end up havin a heartattack bumping into him in the dusky light

I like to keep the end of the chains minimal and as fuss free as posible , what i use might not be the most fastest attatchment but it is very safe and very strong .... short of welding a cut link round the collar d ring or using one of those heaving split links further up the page these ones are the best iv found and also like the way there is nothing bulky round there neck :thumbs:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUICK-LINK-CHAIN-10-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Forgot to add youde want the thicker ones than in the pick.

Edited by Fledge

i use two very heavy steel bars driven into the ground as far away as possible. wire rope between them.then a heavy d shackle to a chain then a swivel i make myself..my dog wears a d shackle out roughly every month....i would never just chain a dog if you use a wire rope it takes the shock out of the chain...the only problem iv found is my dog looks like he's pulling on the chain and if someone gets to close he'll lerch forward another three feet.its bit a few people like that..

i have to say in the other dog forum i go to this is a .....touchy subject...... one that people either lie about or dont talk about having to do: chaining dogs.

not ok to chain them..

but its A-OK to keep them in crates or kennels all day. and i think i'm the only one that sees no difference!

anyway what i use is useless compared to these methods! i dont have to chain my big dogs anymore but i still keep my cable handy just in case the need arises.. the terrier has to stay on a tie out occasionally because the little rat climbs through the fence or tries to dig out! and small as she is she can break a plastic clip collar any time she feels the need! they're useless on her. buckle collars only.

though my bulldog bitch has broken her share of buckle collars.. the big thick "This is for Bulldogs Only" collars.... she has bent the D rings on them like they were made of rubber!!

glad i read this article because now, if the need arises like i said, i have a better idea on how to at least keep the chain from breaking! not sure what to do about her collar though.... except maybe some day buy from Strong Stuff if he ships over seas..

not sure what to do about her collar though.... except maybe some day buy from Strong Stuff if he ships over seas..

I'd be more than happy to send collars to the US, and I have already sent a few.

The problem is getting the money to me, people never seem too keen to make any effort to pay me, I get asked "do you have Paypal", reply no, and that's the end of it, would it really be so difficult to put money in an envelope and post it insured post to me, as I indeed do with the collars.

Also, the exchange rate isn't great, £25 for a collar to fit a big dog and last a lifetime doesn't seem excessive ........... but $50 doesn't sound so good!

Ditch, if it were me ........... I'd be using those chain link repair thingies that Fletch put up, but as I think I said before, I'd be putting a blob of red Loctite on the threads before tightening them, nothing is getting off that.

I'm not a lover of those panic snaps, not since my bird accidentally released my dog at a show and he went storming off into the middle of the ring looking for something to kill ............ :icon_eek:

Very very easy to release by mistake mate, keep it dead simple and strong and you'll be safe.