Rabbit numbers

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

numbers have been poor for years here. I mainly mooch, foraging I call it. always have a catty in my pocket, sometimes take a ferret and half a dozen nets. sometimes gat a rabbit and a pheasant, other

Well said ? I had my last two lurchers put down due to illness and at 70 I had thoughts about giving up the game, but that didn't last long and I got myself a deer/grey pup. The pup, the pou

? I can't ever see the rabbits coming back in numbers, in my area... They have taken too much stick over the last few decades, and apart from the usual Summer crop , where you seem to see conies

Posted Images

On 13/06/2022 at 22:52, Moocher71 said:

I was seeing good numbers around my way until last few weeks , today I walking along a hedge row and see young coney sitting out and as I got closer I thought it leg it soon but I walked straight up to it and picked it up and it looked fine and no signs of mixy so must be the vh disease that's hit them ,

20220613_130555.jpg

20220613_130449.jpg

Moocher , unfortunately its RHVD . Ivd not been on here in 5 months.  And only came on to see if anyone has came across it . I have 4 spots that had no rabbits 5 year back . I kept dropping rabbits from different areas to create a strong gene pool.  And this summer has been an unreal breeding season.  A friend was walking his terrier there yesterday and said he found a rabbit lying dead with no Mark's.  I got the fear straight away.  I took my fell terrier there today . Dead rabbits everywhere.  Bleeding from nose . I was seeing 50 at a time . Seen 2 . And the thick brambles are stinking of death . Sad state of affairs 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 18/06/2022 at 19:40, The drover said:

Moocher , unfortunately its RHVD . Ivd not been on here in 5 months.  And only came on to see if anyone has came across it . I have 4 spots that had no rabbits 5 year back . I kept dropping rabbits from different areas to create a strong gene pool.  And this summer has been an unreal breeding season.  A friend was walking his terrier there yesterday and said he found a rabbit lying dead with no Mark's.  I got the fear straight away.  I took my fell terrier there today . Dead rabbits everywhere.  Bleeding from nose . I was seeing 50 at a time . Seen 2 . And the thick brambles are stinking of death . Sad state of affairs 

Happens all over. from the first outbreak it needs about 5 years without any rabbits before the virus dies, then release of more rabbits MIGHT work!

Edited by levigsp

U in t

8 hours ago, The drover said:

Just like to add . The contractors were in cutting the hay 2 weeks ago . Is that coincidence.  I think not , when you read up on RHVD . This awful disease is so transmit able and clings to any surface.  

Not gainsaying you mate but would the contractors at least hose off their gear between jobs? 

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Walking farm last night and I found 2 rabbit droppings. Yes 2 ! they weren't even fresh but I was over the moon. The place has not held a single rabbit at all for over 5 years. Prior to that we could pop out any night and get few runs. I find it really sad to see the place devoid of rabbits. Just not right. Fingers crossed they can recover.

lamp.jpg

• Like 3

Drove through a caravan park early evening yesterday and saw loads sitting out, and under the caravans etc in the 200m or so I drove through. Most I've seen since living down here.

40 minutes ago, MH1 said:

Drove through a caravan park early evening yesterday and saw loads sitting out, and under the caravans etc in the 200m or so I drove through. Most I've seen since living down here.

We're abouts our you mate ? llf lol 

• Haha 1