Hound x lurcher

3 hours ago, Sammyballer said:

Wouldn’t be bred for lamping really , when ever this breed comes up people think about speaking on the lamp , there used for day time hunting a lot in wales , got family there few lads use them , yes Andrew edwards hunting the hill or on YouTube , there not your regular chilled lurchers to keep need a alot of walking and work to keep happy 

Would a modern line of foxhound do the job on its own? Or these crosses supposed to be a bit faster with the grey added? 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big shaggy dog was hound X,over a beddy bull grey bitch bottom pic, bred the smooth bitch,middle picture.. neither ever made more noise than a normal lurcher...

I seen this young dog come up for rehoming today and thought he looked a bit long in the leg and wondered wether there be some sighthound in him? I know next to nothing of the breed though so probably

Wouldn’t be bred for lamping really , when ever this breed comes up people think about speaking on the lamp , there used for day time hunting a lot in wales , got family there few lads use them , yes

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Big shaggy dog was hound X,over a beddy bull grey bitch bottom pic, bred the smooth bitch,middle picture.. neither ever made more noise than a normal lurcher...20160123_163752.jpg.e966f9cbe92b19d401c9cadb33ae4955.jpg20170429_131402.jpg.8a5c2ecab9f572eab16eb58d7d6890ac.jpg345400652_2016-02-0221_03_45.jpg.67d921c9d04d22e99490e66eb6632beb.jpg

I saw that middle dog for sale somewhere, have u still got it ? 

2 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

How much speed would you expect to gain on a first x? 

Be quicker than a pure hound mate , spent a fair bit time around both , the half x don’t speak as much as a pure aswell usually when really close or sighted 

8 minutes ago, Sammyballer said:

Be quicker than a pure hound mate , spent a fair bit time around both , the half x don’t speak as much as a pure aswell usually when really close or sighted 

Which is the better type of hound to use in your experience of them? 

Just now, Gypsydog94 said:

Depends on your definition of good 

Iv seen a few Welsh houndx seem to have a decent coat , lads usually use a nice big dog hound thst doesn’t mind teeth we both now a lot of hounds are pretty shy of teeth unless there in a pack , i seen a dog out of a bullx to a harrier bitch couple seens ago real nice dog 

1 hour ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I saw that middle dog for sale somewhere, have u still got it ? 

It's a bitch and it's never been up for sale,it's on a farm next valley over from me with friends?

Her name is oliveIMG-20171127-WA0010.jpg.2e63080caf71567e4e68ee0cb41d8618.jpg IMG-20200510-WA0000.jpg.0bb025adffdce70c0252fd70eb4e3bef.jpg

• Like 1

I like being up the hills and letting the dogs range out. Mine have picked it up ok. If the hills were the only hunting I did then I’d go down the route of a couple of hound or GWP crosses. I still like to lamp so I’ll stick with what I got for now. Would like to see more posts up of hound crosses. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, white van man said:

I like being up the hills and letting the dogs range out. Mine have picked it up ok. If the hills were the only hunting I did then I’d go down the route of a couple of hound or GWP crosses. I still like to lamp so I’ll stick with what I got for now. Would like to see more posts up of hound crosses. 

I find talking to the lads I know , most people don’t need a houndx a pointerx or most lurchers will find game if it’s around , up those wales hills there’s not a lot game so the houndx do come into there own , Iv been all over and had days catching 4/5 foxes with lurchers you’ll never do that up in wales but places like Dartmoor and other moors more north you will 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Sammyballer said:

I find talking to the lads I know , most people don’t need a houndx a pointerx or most lurchers will find game if it’s around , up those wales hills there’s not a lot game so the houndx do come into there own , Iv been all over and had days catching 4/5 foxes with lurchers you’ll never do that up in wales but places like Dartmoor and other moors more north you will 

I hunt Dartmoor and North Wales. My dogs do fine but I just reckon a hound x type might find a bit better. I’m happy with what I got as I like other types of Lurchers work. I probably hunt the hills a few times a month. If I was on there most days then they would prob be a lot better at what they do.