• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was talking to my boy last night (no doubt boring the pants off him ! Lol) and saying how lads barely a couple of years older than him had spent that day 78 years ago getting their kit ready, climbi

brave lads thats for sure....funny the things you find out about people once there dead....i knew my grandad was in tanks during the war...and i knew he fought the japs in south east asia....he was in

A great uncle of mine was in the engineers during the landings. He suffered what they’d call nowadays ‘life changing injuries’, sometime after landing. I remember as a kid at family gatherings, no-one

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, WILF said:

It’s the 6th of June, just saying.

The finest generation of men ever.

Formally known as D-day, now known as B-day…. I wonder was it done on purpose? Invoke the “fight them beaches spirit” 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, VOON said:

Formally known as D-day, now known as B-day…. I wonder was it done on purpose? Invoke the “fight them beaches spirit” 

I was talking to my boy last night (no doubt boring the pants off him ! Lol) and saying how lads barely a couple of years older than him had spent that day 78 years ago getting their kit ready, climbing into boats and gliders and aircraft.

Airborne forces took off at 11:30 last night all them years ago, they were the first on the ground.

I always think what thoughts and feeling were going through their head and just the general character of them to be going and doing that for a world they thought worth it.

Its humbling mate, well to me it is anyway ?

• Like 13
5 minutes ago, WILF said:

I was talking to my boy last night (no doubt boring the pants off him ! Lol) and saying how lads barely a couple of years older than him had spent that day 78 years ago getting their kit ready, climbing into boats and gliders and aircraft.

Airborne forces took off at 11:30 last night all them years ago, they were the first on the ground.

I always think what thoughts and feeling were going through their head and just the general character of them to be going and doing that for a world they thought worth it.

Its humbling mate, well to me it is anyway ?

brave lads thats for sure....funny the things you find out about people once there dead....i knew my grandad was in tanks during the war...and i knew he fought the japs in south east asia....he was in an organisation called the burma star...

any way not till his funeral (about 20 year ago).....one of his old pals all decked out in uniform stood up and started talking about grandad and where hed been ...by christ i was shocked ....seemed liked he went everywhere right from 39....bits of Europe italy and north africa ...

of course he never said much ....but i do remember him saying this to me when i was a young fella...and ive told this on here....when he joined he was a healthy 12 stone....came out of burma ....weighing 7 stone....never got caught or anything ..just never got supplies...and when they did advance on the japs they couldnt eat anything in the villages ...cos the japs poisoned everything as they retreated ..including water..

hopfully we never have to see such stuff....especially our kids and future generations    

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, mackem said:

I wonder if they knew what they would be facing from the off? 

Aye, it’s pretty moving isn’t it mate…..as I said, they don’t breed them like that anymore, well, not many anyway.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

watched another similar thing the other day ....see if i can find it

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, mackem said:

I'm not a religious person but, you have to wonder what happens to someone's soul after numbers like that.

• Like 4

A great uncle of mine was in the engineers during the landings. He suffered what they’d call nowadays ‘life changing injuries’, sometime after landing. I remember as a kid at family gatherings, no-one really spoke about it, and if they did, it was always in hushed tones away from him. I certainly don’t remember there being much talk of heroism and glorious victory, just sympathy for what he’d gone through. Shortly before he died he did speak about his experiences with an uncle. His story was fascinating, but at the same time, probably typical of what many of those young men did. Although I only met him a few times as a nipper, I do now feel a sense of ‘family’ pride for what he sacrificed for us all. Whether brave, or scared utterly sh!tless, those lads done what was asked of them.., and that should be eternally remembered.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

The way the country and world are today....I can't help but feel all those brave souls died for nothing....

5 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'm not a religious person but, you have to wonder what happens to someone's soul after numbers like that.

Just following orders....If he had been English..then he would of had some sort of medal,purple heart etc I'm sure ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Just following orders....If he had been English..then he would of had some sort of medal,purple heart etc I'm sure ?

I don't doubt it mate but, regardless of what side they're on, there's probably a decent theological conversation to be had.

Like the bloke that released the bomb over Hiroshima - I'd love to know what his thoughts were years later when he was sat somewhere alone and quiet.

• Like 1