• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never really understood the thinking behind "bug hotels". My problem has  nothing to do with the admirable concept of providing insect habitat. It's  the name. Surely if fish live in a

I've had calls most days for the last three weeks. Broke my "stay local" rule last week and went to do a nest about ten miles away. When l arrived the customer  was out but the cleaner was there

Only done one this year. As you can see I disposed of the nest ethically  

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Only done one this year. As you can see I disposed of the nest ethically

2014759595_waspgrub.jpg.ba107634e09643a70d49175e05315257.jpg

They banned them in matches in my dad's day along with bloodworm as they were too expensive for the working man..

6 minutes ago, Borr said:

They banned them in matches in my dad's day along with bloodworm as they were too expensive for the working man..

We used to collect our own nests and bloodworm. The nests would be reccied in the week then dug up on Friday night as we didn't have a freezer back then. We used smoke tablets from the iron mongers to sedate them.

• Like 1

Thick question lol, but have I caused myself a problem here?

My daughter wanted one of those bug/bee hotels - didn't think it would attract anything apart from spiders when it went up a couple of weeks ago.

Been painting the fence last couple of days and seen bees & wasps going in and out. Do I leave it and they'll leave eventually or will I end up with a big nest on my hands?

20220709_150315.jpg

20220709_150336.jpg

If they were bees or wasps they would already have built a nest months ago. Difficult to tell from the picture exactly what it is but I'd guess some type of wood wasp or solitary bee..... ie that's exactly what the thing is designed to attract. 

Or it may be a normal wasp stealing eggs/larvae 

10 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

If they were bees or wasps they would already have built a nest months ago. Difficult to tell from the picture exactly what it is but I'd guess some type of wood wasp or solitary bee..... ie that's exactly what the thing is designed to attract. 

Or it may be a normal wasp stealing eggs/larvae 

Thanks, I think its a solitary bee and the wasp is going in stealing. It can stay there for now and I'll let nature run its course 

10 hours ago, MH1 said:

My daughter wanted one of those bug/bee hotels - didn't think it would attract anything apart from spiders when it went up a couple of weeks ago.

Been painting the fence last couple of days and seen bees & wasps going in and out. Do I leave it and they'll leave eventually or will I end up with a big nest on my hands?

20220709_150315.jpg

20220709_150336.jpg

It's exploring, or most likely removing fine layers of wood to expand its nest, which isn't in your bug hotel!!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, MH1 said:

20220709_150315.jpg

20220709_150336.jpg

I've never really understood the thinking behind "bug hotels".

My problem has  nothing to do with the admirable concept of providing insect habitat.

It's  the name. Surely if fish live in a fishery and worms in a wormery; a bug hotel should really be called a.....   20220710_114651.jpg.8d669da9b78f809b6f68462eb8fa8d59.jpg

Maybe it's  a marketing thing?

• Haha 5
  • 2 weeks later...