Gave my notice today ?

1 hour ago, South hams hunter said:

Already hand delivered it, f**k em. Bridges were burnt months ago tbh 

They wouldn't give me a reference anyway, it's against company policy - they'll forward your HR folder but that's it 

Fair play then mate as the saying goes you are a long time dead all my job's in the past have just been work to live not live to work and even now in a mundane boring job that's all i look at it has.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 7 years of mind numbing call centre work I've finally took the plunge to go fully self employed bait collecting. The place was slowly eating away at my soul

Hamster ,good luck to you ,but don't send that letter mate ,you never know ,sometime in the future you may need a reference off these people ,,burning your bridges is not a good long term strategy .

Just rowing with my boss for months  Exactly mate, that's what I thought tbh. I've been talking about it for about 2/3 years and now finally in a position to do it Yeah plenty of

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TOMO said:

never realised there was money to be made collecting bait....

i know course fishing there were maggot farms ....

anyway good luck to you mate ....wandering around the sea shore sure sounds better than being in a call centre ....i couldnt think of anything much worse to be fair

You can make good money digging lug and rag worms. Collecting peeling crabs can be rich pickings at certain times of the year. 
It does tend to be very up and down though. 
If you have a couple of tackle shops who will buy them straight from you it is not a bad way to make money. 
It’s not easy though digging 5-10lb of worms on a regular basis. 
I do a bit myself but I’m only part time at it and pick my days to do it. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

After 7 years of mind numbing call centre work I've finally took the plunge to go fully self employed bait collecting. The place was slowly eating away at my soul

20220601_182127.jpg

20220601_182228.jpg

Well done and good luck to you hope it all works for you, ??

6 minutes ago, robbo said:

You can make good money digging lug and rag worms. Collecting peeling crabs can be rich pickings at certain times of the year. 
If you have a couple of tackle shops who will buy them straight from you it is not a bad way to make money. 

Couldn't you expand on it a bit, small boat for crabbing/fishing, offer foreshore foraging courses, anything to keep the wolf from the door and live a life where your answerable to no one and your not clock watching. 

• Like 2

Realised pretty early on the 9 to 5 grind was never going to be for me and struck out on my own, there's been some ups and downs but I honestly wouldn't change a thing. You won't regret this pal, all the best :thumbs:

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, BGD said:

Realised pretty early on the 9 to 5 grind was never going to be for me and struck out on my own, there's been some ups and downs but I honestly wouldn't change a thing. You won't regret this pal, all the best :thumbs:

rent boy pays well does it dave....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
4 hours ago, Francie said:

Did your waine write that card hammy lol

Fairplay to you for having the balls to do it,it's great being your own boss.

Ps how did you burn your bridge's?were you caught pulling when on a zoom call haha

Just rowing with my boss for months 

4 hours ago, Arry said:

Well done mate if you didn't try it you would always wished you had for the rest of your life. 

Cheers Arry

Exactly mate, that's what I thought tbh.

3 hours ago, pesky1972 said:

Good luck and fair play for having the balls to make the change. More people I know talk about it than ever do it.

Agree with comments on burning bridges. I try never to do that, might feel good at the time, but you never know what’s round the corner.

I've been talking about it for about 2/3 years and now finally in a position to do it

3 hours ago, TOMO said:

never realised there was money to be made collecting bait....

i know course fishing there were maggot farms ....

anyway good luck to you mate ....wandering around the sea shore sure sounds better than being in a call centre ....i couldnt think of anything much worse to be fair

Yeah plenty of money in bait mate and is all cash work

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

You’ll never look back, I haven’t, I still do odd shift to help out at the farm I worked on but the wage is now less than a third of what I was on, an the traps are paying rest, can do as I please, when I please an answer to nobody as long as customer happy, an let’s face it, without sounding shitty ( same applies to me) you can always go back to call centre work I’m sure if it don’t work out. I’m proper enjoying it mate an even got kids involved?

I know I won't mate and if it don't work I'll drive an amazon van. I've always had the sprogs helping and will now get more time with em

1 hour ago, robbo said:

I can do 5lb twice a day 7 days a week mate; I've got 2 shops I dig for that both want 10/20 lb a week and 2/3 shops that bug me regular.  plus I have  eeling, crabbing, prawning and a bit of commercial stuff. 

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Well done and good luck to you hope it all works for you, ??

Cheers mate, so do i

1 hour ago, mackem said:

Couldn't you expand on it a bit, small boat for crabbing/fishing, offer foreshore foraging courses, anything to keep the wolf from the door and live a life where your answerable to no one and your not clock watching. 

I was gonna look at doing stuff like the samphire and seaweeds to restaurants aswell 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
34 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Just rowing with my boss for months 

Exactly mate, that's what I thought tbh.

I've been talking about it for about 2/3 years and now finally in a position to do it

Yeah plenty of money in bait mate and is all cash work

I know I won't mate and if it don't work I'll drive an amazon van. I've always had the sprogs helping and will now get more time with em

I can do 5lb twice a day 7 days a week mate; I've got 2 shops I dig for that both want 10/20 lb a week and 2/3 shops that bug me regular.  plus I have  eeling, crabbing, prawning and a bit of commercial stuff. 

Cheers mate, so do i

I was gonna look at doing stuff like the samphire and seaweeds to restaurants aswell 

Goodman hammy?

I could nt work for some else it’s soul destroying stuff. It’s tricky because you need money to enjoy life so end up working flat out and people bug the shit out of ya for help doing work.or worry that you need to leave the kids everything so just keep chugging away. I’m picking n choosing my work now . I’d love to get sea fishing so I’m trying to build up some tackle even looking at a s.i.b to get out further.selling a few motors I have and taking it a bit easier. Hope it works out mate sounds fuking great out by the sea , fresh air, no Cnut to answer too, free as a fukin bird( seagull of course)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Never a chore doing a job you enjoy...good luck mate?

That's it mate; was always told that if you find a job you love you'll never work a day in your life.

1 hour ago, Qbgrey said:

I could nt work for some else it’s soul destroying stuff. It’s tricky because you need money to enjoy life so end up working flat out and people bug the shit out of ya for help doing work.or worry that you need to leave the kids everything so just keep chugging away. I’m picking n choosing my work now . I’d love to get sea fishing so I’m trying to build up some tackle even looking at a s.i.b to get out further.selling a few motors I have and taking it a bit easier. Hope it works out mate sounds fuking great out by the sea , fresh air, no Cnut to answer too, free as a fukin bird( seagull of course)

Your right it is sound destroying as I've found.

You don't need a boat for sea fishing mate; f**k me we catch better stuff than half the boat anglers do.

1 minute ago, dytkos said:

Good luck Johnny ?? but don't forget it may not always be a bed of roses.  Few remember where you started but many remember how.you finished ? 

Cheers, D.

Cheers mate. I know it probably won't be easy but I've been doing it for a few years part time now while the misses raised the kids so now she's working I can afford to take the gamble.

Sometimes you've just got to burn those bridges - I f***ing blew it to bits when I left my last job and, it felt great...... Sometimes enough is enough and, you just have to give those shithouses both barrels :yes:

Now I'm in a job that I really enjoy and, I make more money.

Good luck mate :good:

• Like 2

If you despise the job burning a bridge to it can be good . In 5 years time im your new venture isnt going to good you may end up drifting back to the old job forgetting the real shit times there. At least now theirs no chance of that