Pups retrieving

Just bit of advice about my pup. She's 9month retrieves anything and everything I throw to her and been doing well on the odd pigeon I shoot but every now and then shel bring them towards me, run straight past and just sit there plucking them taking zero notice of her recall. Any advice appreciated. Cheers

6 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Just bit of advice about my pup. She's 9month retrieves anything and everything I throw to her and been doing well on the odd pigeon I shoot but every now and then shel bring them towards me, run straight past and just sit there plucking them taking zero notice of her recall. Any advice appreciated. Cheers

Try some fur ,pidgin are funny things for a pup all them feathers can mess them up like

6 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

What I do if a pup runs or walks past me on recall and starts to become ignorant an bored with what im wanting them to do.  I won't go towards the pup I will walk the opposite way an don't say a word or make eye contact. Just walk the opposite way. The pup will think wheres he going an follow. You'll soon see the pup at the side of you. Do that for a few weeks an you'll of sorted the dogs recall. 

• Like 2

Some dogs don't like pigeons at all because of the amount of feathers that they drop. The pup might be dropping the bird to spit out the loose feathers in her mouth. 

I would keep her off them for a while, go back to a fur dummy like others gave already said  ? 

11 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

May be get her a plucking machine it's much quicker

13 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

What I do if a pup runs or walks past me on recall and starts to become ignorant an bored with what im wanting them to do.  I won't go towards the pup I will walk the opposite way an don't say a word or make eye contact. Just walk the opposite way. The pup will think wheres he going an follow. You'll soon see the pup at the side of you. Do that for a few weeks an you'll of sorted the dogs recall. 

or just keep it on the lead aye bangers ? ?

• Haha 4

Wood pigeons can be awkward and frustrating for young dogs not used to loose feathers..?.

I would always try to avoid them until the lurcher is properly made...

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5

She doesn't have a problem with feather at all. Infact the total opposite she seems to love it and that's the problem runs away with them and just sits and plucks them taking no notice. Sometimes will fetch back no problem  and others totally ignore me. I'm defo not over doing it just the odd one I shoot every now and then

• Like 1

I'd agree with the comments made above about moving away from the dog. I've always found that dogs are far more worried about losing us than we are of losing them. 

If ever I have a dog which doesn't come all the way in for either recall or a retrieve I simply start walking backwards. If that fails, try turning your back on them and jogging away!?

One problem I often find is that, because dogs can be clever enough to know the minimum requirements, mine have cottoned on to the fact that. when I call their name, I don't actually mean "come here" I'm asking where they are. So they pop out from a bush or around a corner and say, "I'm here." To overcome this I 'accidentally' taught them to "touch base." I simply said it once as a joke to my current pup as she was coming in just that little bit closer on an early recall. Now, if I call her name she'll come back but if I want her closer I put my hand out and ask her to "touch base" at which she nudges my palm.

17 hours ago, mC HULL said:

or just keep it on the lead aye bangers ? ?

14 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

She doesn't have a problem with feather at all. Infact the total opposite she seems to love it and that's the problem runs away with them and just sits and plucks them taking no notice. Sometimes will fetch back no problem  and others totally ignore me. I'm defo not over doing it just the odd one I shoot every now and then

You'll find that many on here will know your dog more than you do pal just from reading your post it's ace lol