Border terrier x whippet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glu

All these references harking back to the now defunct, Shooting News,  just goes to show, how seemingly important and influential, that curious weekly rag was,... to so many lads....?

Posted Images

13 hours ago, shaaark said:

@OldPhil

it ain't that funny!!  ? ?

Or was it years before that particular program, the dog he was 'originally' referring to?!  ?

Yes, the one in the book was back when he was a young lad in Yorkshire around a hundred years ago. I checked and it was a dog called Jim which was half "hunt terrier" half whippet. It was bred by a local chap called Luke and he sold then partly trained. The training involved whacking them with his cap if they did anything wrong so, whenever Jack Hargreaves doffed his cap at a passer by, Jim would race over to his heel for fear of being told off.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
22 hours ago, shaaark said:

@OldPhil

it ain't that funny!!  ? ?

Or was it years before that particular program, the dog he was 'originally' referring to?!  ?

Yeah, I wasn't being funny,...but we were rabbiting further along the Downland,. and , well,.it was kinda,.. funny ?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 2
43 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yeah, I wasn't being funny,...but we were rabbiting further along the Downland,. and , well,.it was kinda,.. funny ?

img Scans018.jpg

Old Phil you got some cracking photos them wee lurchers you keep look keen as and always in great nic .... keep on keeping on aul stick

• Like 3
14 hours ago, mush said:

Would be good if there was more like him.

True. I've had the book for several years but only recently got round to reading it. It's full of so much wisdom and common sense. My particular favourite so far is a chapter called 'A Shilling and a Pint' which looks at the reasons for the breeding of dogs. 

Here's one quote: "Personally, I believe it should be made illegal to breed and sell dogs commercially. Such an enactment would reduce the number of dogs in the country by half - the right half."?

Edited to add: I'm very flattered by all the likes but it's not me that deserves them...I'm just quoting someone else.?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Neal said:

True. I've had the book for several years but only recently got round to reading it. It's full of so much wisdom and common sense. My particular favourite so far is a chapter called 'A Shilling and a Pint' which looks at the reasons for the breeding of dogs. 

Here's one quote: "Personally, I believe it should be made illegal to breed and sell dogs commercially. Such an enactment would reduce the number of dogs in the country by half - the right half."?

Which of jack hargreaves' books is the one you've been quoting, Neal?

Might see if I can get it.  ?

13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Which of jack hargreaves' books is the one you've been quoting, Neal?

Might see if I can get it.  ?

It's called "Out Of Town A Life Relived On Television" it was published by Dovecote Press Paperbacks in 1987 and the price on the back cover is £5.95 (though I paid three quid for it in some charity shop or secondhand book shop).?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, brian c said:

Only thing I find with the terrier x whippets so hard to get wat u want I find they normally go too small to catch a bolted rabbit or there too slow and try hunting like a terrier 

Your right mate my mrs had a first cross patterdale whippet now it wasn’t  the fastest thing an tiny with it about 16 inch but what a nose put a lot of stuff out for bigger dogs cracking on the rats had a right few hares out there seats easy to keep fit cracking wee thing she was 

you never seem to be able to find them. popular years ago, fox terrier x whippet, staff x whippet, Russell x whippet. always fancied one but never available. I now have a whippet bitch so the world could be my lobster (Arthur would say). it would seem a lot of effort as I am no dog breeder. 

• Like 1
On 02/06/2022 at 11:34, mackem said:

Wasn't his name George Hogg or something? I remember his beddie/whippet, wonder what happened to him. 

George Hogg wrote a cracking book, Practical Pest Control. His Beddy/Whippet features in it quite a bit.