Border terrier x whippet

27 minutes ago, fred90 said:

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glued to the classified section as pups, ferrets etc, there wasn't the wide ranging market of today's Internet. 

It was a breath of fresh air, a mainstream paper/mag on the shelves at WH Smith's, about 30p to Shooting Times @£1.20. shame it went shit.

Cheers, D.

• Like 5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glu

All these references harking back to the now defunct, Shooting News,  just goes to show, how seemingly important and influential, that curious weekly rag was,... to so many lads....?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, dytkos said:

It was a breath of fresh air, a mainstream paper/mag on the shelves at WH Smith's, about 30p to Shooting Times @£1.20. shame it went shit.

Cheers, D.

That must of been around 1979/80 at that price remember going to the newsagents on the way to school to get mine

• Like 1

Was a good mag back then. Used to love looking at the adverts of stuff that I struggled to afford. Remember the old net making kit off kp and s I think. That lovely smell of hemp nets hanging off the caravan door. Ordered a blue eye off there to and my ferret finders. The local terrier man simpson I think used to write good stuff. Then there was that dodgy fella used to write the lurcher articles ;)  ah great days 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

You are right was a good read but the nail in the coffin was when they changed it from a magazine to a paper I learnt to make nets using hemp and if i made a mistake my old man made me unpick it and do it until it was right 

• Like 2

I used to get it delivered, came in a brown envelope at first, then a plastic cover, there was shooting news and plummer books, very little else so bit of a hobsons choice, it served its purpose at the time.Who was the taxidermist who used to feature Steve was his first name, from Portsmouth I think?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, fred90 said:

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glued to the classified section as pups, ferrets etc, there wasn't the wide ranging market of today's Internet. 

I used to get the shooting times when i was at school well before the shooting news came out and  used to enjoy articles by BB . Fred Taylor and Colin Willock i ordered my first opinel knife out of their.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I used to get the shooting times when i was at school well before the shooting news came out and  used to enjoy articles by BB . Fred Taylor and Colin Willock i ordered my first opinel knife out of their.

it was a bit too upper-class for me mate. I have read articles by BB, and admit to enjoying them but he was a prep school, boarding school hooray Henry in my limited opinion. 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, fred90 said:

it was a bit too upper-class for me mate. I have read articles by BB, and admit to enjoying them but he was a prep school, boarding school hooray Henry in my limited opinion. 

Think it was my interest from a young age and the shooting times was the only mag available and an other mag that you had to subscribe to called gamekeeper and countryside . Another writer who's article's a enjoyed were Leah McNally a Scottish gamekeeper.

Just now, tatsblisters said:

Think it was my interest from a young age and the shooting times was the only mag available and an other mag that you had to subscribe to called gamekeeper and countryside . Another writer who's article's a enjoyed were Leah McNally a Scottish gamekeeper.

I can remember the gamekeeper and countryside mag, used to read it in the school library. I first started reading the shooting news in 84 when I was a striking miner. a bloke used to pass them on to me. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

talking of Fred j Taylor, does anyone remember the program heart of the country? used to come on in midweek. 

Tony Francis presented it he done 1 wi me mate who I used 2 go ferreting wi ? it went 2 his head and he had cards made advertising rabbit control and it said as seen on bbcs heart of the country ?, also me old dad were whipping in 2 the beagles and they filmed that aswell me old man running across a field wi the Francis ,bollox him for not keeping up ?

• Like 1

Wow! I'd forgotten about Sporting Dog magazine. I think I bought a few of them but I can't remember when. I didn't realise it was absorbed into CW.

3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

I have a book by him, I think it's called "Highland Deer Forest." I've also got one by BB...but mine is "The Little Grey Men" so slightly different reading material.? My teacher started reading it to us in the third year of junior school but never finished it so I found a copy and finished it myself. I think there was a tv series about it too. 

• Like 1