Border terrier x whippet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glu

All these references harking back to the now defunct, Shooting News,  just goes to show, how seemingly important and influential, that curious weekly rag was,... to so many lads....?

Posted Images

Actually Fred, Fielder was the 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington. The first one (first cross) was called Mini and Fielder was her daughter. I only remember that because I was recently rereading loads of my old Shooting News articles after finding them in the loft.?

I'd forgotten his name though...even though I've got a book by him.?

Old Phil, I'm glad you've said that he and Les White were decent sorts as they were two of my favourite writers at the time. Another I liked was Stag Carter...you're going to tell me he was a complete arsehole now aren't you.? Actually, I've just realised that most of the writers I liked favoured little whippet types.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Neal said:

I must have started reading the shooting news a wee bit later than you. I can't remember the first cross one. I knew fielder was a three quarter cross. I had a couple of bigger lurchers but soon noticed all old local colliers had whippets and whippet types. I soon fell into this category and have stuck with it ever since. maybe the same writers influenced me as well?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, fred90 said:

I think you're right about pester it was a lakeland x whippet. ir it's the chap I am thinking about was his name George hogg? 

I no a couple lads work first x lakeland greyhound qnd they more than happy .

Fred, I've only ever had two dogs with whippet blood and neither of them were my cup of tea. However, in defence of whippets, I'm fairly certain the part of them I didn't get on with was the type of collie used in one and the terrier in the other.?

If I ever did go back to 'the dark side' and own another sighthound blooded dog it'd definitely be whippet rather than greyhound...I couldn't afford the extra food for a start.?

3 hours ago, Neal said:

Fred, I've only ever had two dogs with whippet blood and neither of them were my cup of tea. However, in defence of whippets, I'm fairly certain the part of them I didn't get on with was the type of collie used in one and the terrier in the other.?

If I ever did go back to 'the dark side' and own another sighthound blooded dog it'd definitely be whippet rather than greyhound...I couldn't afford the extra food for a start.?

If you go the full hog, I've several flat caps here, I'll send you one.  ? ?

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, shaaark said:

If you go the full hog, I've several flat caps here, I'll send you one.  ? ?

I was reading in a Jack Hargreaves book last night about one of his dogs (I think it was a terrier x whippet but I'll have to check). He said the bloke who trained it only ever swiped at it with his flat cap as a reprimand, so as soon as he took his cap off the dog came straight to heel.?

• Haha 3
On 02/06/2022 at 09:16, Shortstraw said:

I’m probably wrong....but didn’t he have a whippet x Lakeland.....thinking about it...it may have been that other fella....who used to work a white dog with black patch......( was it les white........I reckon I’m way off, it’s years since I looked through my old shooting news). I couldn’t believe it other day I picked up the countrymans weekly to look at in WHSmith....it’s now gone back to the old small style......saying that could have been like this for a few year, there was barely anything in it.

I used to read the Shooting News at the time and was Les White's white dog not a fox terrier x border collie? Seen it once when he had it with him at terrier show held at Fox and hounds pub in Whitley Chapel. Enjoyed his articles with accounts of just mooching about after bunnies with a dog and ferrets. His articles seemed to change a bit when he got a Bedlington and became a bit of an expert.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, eastcoast said:

I used to read the Shooting News at the time and was Les White's white dog not a fox terrier x border collie? Seen it once when he had it with him at terrier show held at Fox and hounds pub in Whitley Chapel. Enjoyed his articles with accounts of just mooching about after bunnies with a dog and ferrets. His articles seemed to change a bit when he got a Bedlington and became a bit of an expert.

Was that the one which was mainly white but with a black mask on one half of the head? First dog I can remember growing up was my dad's wire fox terrier x sheltie. I named my first lurcher after her.

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

Was that the one which was mainly white but with a black mask on one half of the head? First dog I can remember growing up was my dad's wire fox terrier x sheltie. I named my first lurcher after her.

That's the dog I am thinking of but I may be wrong regarding the breeding. Long time ago.

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

I was reading in a Jack Hargreaves book last night about one of his dogs (I think it was a terrier x whippet but I'll have to check). He said the bloke who trained it only ever swiped at it with his flat cap as a reprimand, so as soon as he took his cap off the dog came straight to heel.?

Used to watch 'Out of Town' as youngster.  Watched a few episodes on you tube, the last couple of years.

Watched one about 18 months ago, where he was ferreting with a 1st cross russell/whippet.  Would that 'possibly' be the same dog?

• Like 2