Border terrier x whippet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

it certainly was Phil. it was the only thing we could get worth reading for a lot of what I would call working class lads. we viewed the shooting times as the other side of the fence. also we were glu

All these references harking back to the now defunct, Shooting News,  just goes to show, how seemingly important and influential, that curious weekly rag was,... to so many lads....?

Posted Images

I believe Pester, who used to write for the Shooting News, either had one or was thinking of getting one too. If my memory serves me well, he started off with a beddie x whippet, then mated her to a whippet before trying a fell or lakeland x whippet. I think it was then that he said he was considering getting a border x whippet. No idea if it came to fruition or not.

As breeze has said, Skycat has a lovely example and I think I've seen another one on here in the last ten years.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Neal said:

I believe Pester, who used to write for the Shooting News, either had one or was thinking of getting one too. If my memory serves me well, he started off with a beddie x whippet, then mated her to a whippet before trying a fell or lakeland x whippet. I think it was then that he said he was considering getting a border x whippet. No idea if it came to fruition or not.

As breeze has said, Skycat has a lovely example and I think I've seen another one on here in the last ten years.

I’m probably wrong....but didn’t he have a whippet x Lakeland.....thinking about it...it may have been that other fella....who used to work a white dog with black patch......( was it les white........I reckon I’m way off, it’s years since I looked through my old shooting news). I couldn’t believe it other day I picked up the countrymans weekly to look at in WHSmith....it’s now gone back to the old small style......saying that could have been like this for a few year, there was barely anything in it.

Edited by Shortstraw
53 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I’m probably wrong....but didn’t he have a whippet x Lakeland.....thinking about it...it may have been that other fella....who used to work a white dog with black patch......( was it les white........I reckon I’m way off, it’s years since I looked through my old shooting news). I couldn’t believe it other day I picked up the countrymans weekly to look at in WHSmith....it’s now gone back to the old small style......saying that could have been like this for a few year, there was barely anything in it.

I think you're right about pester it was a lakeland x whippet. ir it's the chap I am thinking about was his name George hogg? 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, samurai said:

Whippet x border Lakeland back to whippet,he’s been on before on a similar thread,catches rabbits well enough, any cover, but a b*****d with strange dogs.

C8201CDA-8A87-4634-B99B-931F1102040E.jpeg

there was a pest controler out norfolk way that kept border lakie x whippet ...and back to a whippet with the 3/4.....met him at a few shows out that way never sore the dogs work ..but they looked the part for the bushing game ratting etc .....he also did a few articles in the countrymans weekly.....Danny was his name....15 20 year ago

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Neal said:

I believe Pester, who used to write for the Shooting News, either had one or was thinking of getting one too. If my memory serves me well, he started off with a beddie x whippet, then mated her to a whippet before trying a fell or lakeland x whippet. I think it was then that he said he was considering getting a border x whippet. No idea if it came to fruition or not

Wasn't his name George Hogg or something? I remember his beddie/whippet, wonder what happened to him. 

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

I think you're right about pester it was a lakeland x whippet. ir it's the chap I am thinking about was his name George hogg? 

Yes, it was George,...we hunted together...

He was a nice guy...?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

You are spot on Shortstraw....?

I sent Les up, one of the first Silver/Black Eyed White Ferrets,...he loved it and wrote an article titled, "Hi Ho Silver"...?

Good hearted guy....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1