• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a big bruiser tonight. I think it was sleeping in the field I was crossing. I only saw it as it legged it into a wood. I had been lamping as I went but out of nowhere it appeared. I was

Missed it! At 40yds!!! I let this smallish adult get to close on dusk. I was fiddling with the NV and ended up rushing the shot. Fortunately there was no light source involved. I then walked

Snap mate. Once I think someone's a prick they're a prick for good. 

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I would be embarrassed having that many foxes about ???????

A bit of background.

They were cubs from on a neighboring pheasant shoot I have no control over.

I have to keep patroling my patch waiting for their foxes to come on to me.

That night I got lucky.

The one missed is still at large but I need the maize off. Possibly next week.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I would be embarrassed having that many foxes about ???????

?? but I sort of know what you mean, the farms, etc I regularly look after just keep going with steady 1-2 maybe 3 a session.  I seem to get a lot of one off school work and get some of the highest nightly totals from them, 5-6 is quite common in a night.

I remember one school over Hayes way I took a total of 15 over 3 nights (biggest number on the last night), and one in sight of City Airport, 7 in one night, but there were plenty more at both.  They never want regular visits, they will call me back when the numbers get to high again!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:

Had my first experience of HMR ammo issue today. You can see where pin struck but just made a faint hiss sound..... 

Next one worked though! ?

20221003_131212.jpg

20221003_131101.jpg

A few years back I had similar experience with Remington, I ended up with the bullet head stuck in the barrel good job I’m familiar with the sound the gun makes and checked immediately, luckily I’ve had no problems since. 

• Sad 1
28 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

A few years back I had similar experience with Remington, I ended up with the bullet head stuck in the barrel good job I’m familiar with the sound the gun makes and checked immediately, luckily I’ve had no problems since. 

Yeah I knew right away from the noise/lack of (and the magpie didn't fall over!! ?

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Got a big bruiser tonight.

I think it was sleeping in the field I was crossing. I only saw it as it legged it into a wood. I had been lamping as I went but out of nowhere it appeared.

I was heading to where I heard a vixen just prior.

Anyway set the tripod. Turned the add-on, on and started squealing. Eventually I coaxed it into the field and shot him around 80+. Took only the one to kill him but another three convinced him after some protesting. Because of that I knew he was a big lad! Only the big lads soak them up like that!

IMG_20221028_220223.jpg.dd983f73dc7c286b69f27d3c4babaf2f.jpg

I then went to another farm and stalked a nice ginger vixen giving a final squeal to which she charged into me.

Stopped her at forty yards or so and the single shot ended it.

IMG_20221028_230235.jpg.275f41cddb0c76185c21d3e61dc47199.jpg

Oh and 9 rats with the 12g hushpower.

A jolly good night ?

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, David.evans said:

Great going SD  

And the caller round your neck is .?

Atb 

Something I got off eBay Dave.

I wanted to try another. Its quite raspy and does crow also. It did make the one in the wood reappear and a barn owl swooped in that made me jump loll . I forget its name....oh, Fox callers. The Terminator lol, stupid name.

• Like 1