• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got a big bruiser tonight. I think it was sleeping in the field I was crossing. I only saw it as it legged it into a wood. I had been lamping as I went but out of nowhere it appeared. I was

Missed it! At 40yds!!! I let this smallish adult get to close on dusk. I was fiddling with the NV and ended up rushing the shot. Fortunately there was no light source involved. I then walked

Snap mate. Once I think someone's a prick they're a prick for good. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Hmmm, might try them again then, if right money ?

Winchester’s are the only hmr’s that my cz doesn’t like. Every other brand it shoots as good as each other, not Winchester’s though. I believe that the Winchester’s are the only hmr’s not made by cci, maybe that’s why….. ??

26 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Winchester’s are the only hmr’s that my cz doesn’t like. Every other brand it shoots as good as each other, not Winchester’s though. I believe that the Winchester’s are the only hmr’s not made by cci, maybe that’s why….. ??

My first hmr a 452 shot the Winchester 20gn well but I had to many misfires.

Re cci....I now understand that other manufacturers make hmr.

Winchester, PMC and Sellier and Bellot make it too.

I wish S&B  products were more readily available.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

My first hmr a 452 shot the Winchester 20gn well but I had to many misfires.

Re cci....I now understand that other manufacturers make hmr.

Winchester, PMC and Sellier and Bellot make it too.

I wish S&B  products were more readily available.

Used to use Sellier and Bellot cartridges years ago when I used to shotgun a lot of rabbits ..  brilliant cartridges. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I use S&B in my 204. £21 box of 20. My tikka loves them. But struggle to get any brand at all at minute. 

Are they out of stock Ben ? They told me they’ve got a lot of ammo due in, but they didn’t say what or when.

41 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Are they out of stock Ben ? They told me they’ve got a lot of ammo due in, but they didn’t say what or when.

Spoke to them last week and nothing. Is Ian still there though? Not seen him last few times...

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening saw me having another outing with the HMR. A few fields cut but not many rabbits about as I was expecting .As the light started to fade a few more were showing but still not the numbers I had expected. 

I am still getting used to this rifle but found missed quite a few shoots with the rifle shooting high. The rifle is only zeroed at around 30 yards as I read that a 25 yard zero equals an 1/2 drop at 100 yds ....not what I found .

I was shooting at a few rabbits at between eighty  and 100 yds and missed every one over the top so next 100 yarder I aimed very low and hit it ....so looks like I need to check it on paper. 

To the HMR users on here what are your findings and what zero do you recommend as it was very frustrating that the longer shots last night just seemed impossible...

Anyway I ended up with a few but hate missing when I know I was spot on but the rifle didnt perform how I expected ?

20220704_201022.jpg

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I use a HMR graduated scope so zero at 100.

Never really had an issue on closer stuff. 

Sometimes if a scope is slightly inclined it can cause issues.

It was fine out to about 40 yds but then shooting noticeably high.

For example I shot at a rabbit at around eighty yards off the bipod , took my time and knew I was 100 % perfect on it only to see bullet strike high ...really frustrating. 

I then shot at another rabbit about the same distance off my sticks but aimed just under it and knocked it over ......

Missed it! At 40yds!!!

I let this smallish adult get to close on dusk. I was fiddling with the NV and ended up rushing the shot. Fortunately there was no light source involved.

1657328198875IMG_20220708_224731_00009.JPG.0e4fc7d312fb7450816497aba3d728fe.JPGI then walked a mile to the polo field and found cubs. Turned out to be two litters. Local intel had informed me of sightings.

After three went down they all left but returned later. The adult present was gone in no time!

I got six, #7 slipped away and stayed away.

IMG_20220708_235508.jpg.48474dd8fc7a59deb79590ade56f974c.jpgNext I drove to another farm that has cut grass and found two more cubs. Got one but the other was quite smart! It was at one point micro seconds from its demise but dodged me and manoeuvred itself quite cleverly to evade me.

On return to the car in the farm yard I shot a rat too.

I was gutted about the adult I missed but it did turn out to be a good night. 7 down and 5 of them vixens!

9:30pm to 2am shift.

The lowly HMR strikes again.

• Like 8