Last few days I've been out picking elder flowers ,been earning OK money and as you no it grows all over the place ,picked 90 kilo in last two days at 3 quid a kilo so I'm happy and the dogs are getting plenty of exercise and having good mooch about .

20220531_144228.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, jok said:

Showing my complete ignorance, where the heck is the market for elderflower? We used to collect it to make poor man’s champagne. Jok

I pick them every year if I can for belvoir fruit farm that makes fruit drinks, they have drop off points in Derbyshire, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and buy them for about six weeks each year ,if you put leg work in and pick you earn some good money in six weeks .

• Like 2

Borrs response made me think. As kids, in the Scottish Borders, annually we collected rose hips during the school summer holidays. Collected and taken into school we were paid, I think, 6d per llb. Well my dad thought what the hell, go large, on the farm we had cow feeders which he draped in hessian and we poured in the berries for what seemed like weeks on end. Cutting a long story short, we loaded the Landrover and trailer and took the lot in. Weighed nearly a ton. Delarosa stopped taking orders from schools from that summer. Hoot Hoot. We ended up with single beds, bedside lamps and quilt covers which was brilliant. The wasp stings were another matter. Happy days. Jok.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jok said:

Blinking eck. You must be a near neighbour  to me. Not many know of Belvior castle never mind the fruit farm. Jok.

I used to walk the lanes around belvoir Castle with me grandad when I was just a kid ,he'd walk along and point to the hedge saying pheasant nest and we'd collect  half the eggs and he'd take them to the keeper and get payed for it but always left some for her to sit on ,

I grew up just in lincs but live Rutland now .

Nice to see Moocher 71 used to pick Elder flowers with my Gran she would make Elder flower champagne. Never liked it myself but brought back some nice memories seeing that.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...