Vintage Spinners

Everybody these days seems to use soft lures mounted on jig heads. The fish must be sick to death of seeing the same things being put before them. So, when I spotted these online off for little money I pressed the Buy Now button immediately

20220528_130512_resize_43.jpg.a7ad53514f7842e9915caf6208f075ec.jpg

20220528_130531_resize_96.jpg.6dda3c7503ffa5083ff1c3aa4f2c0bcb.jpg

20220528_130522_resize_16.jpg.ce6c7ed1c0902bd132db6b456ce1aa54.jpg

Most of them are Mepps 1, 2 or 3 with a few other makes thrown in. Over 25 useable spinners, 2 minnow dead bait mounts and a couple of very useful boxes for €30. Perch beware!

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 12

Was out the other week, just had an hour or so float fishing, while I was there there was a lad walking the lake spinning with a tiny silver meps, I got 5 in that time he was on 20+
FDF49E55-9D75-49AA-BB30-42DE84F8C3A9.jpeg.17449e5c3ecaa72352f2760efe8ee8b5.jpeg

Ide go mad for tiny spinners on the right day

• Like 5

These were popular for trout and salmon from the early 20th century. By the end of WW2 the use of the flying trebles diminished and they tended to be a single, larger treble on a mount with interchangeable bodies. There are collectors of these old spinners all over the world and some fetch good money.

• Like 2

Remember buying a dead bait mount in 1980 in Athlone that had a spike that went down the dead fishes gullet then a clasp that gripped on the fish followed by two setts of trebles on wire traces i have never seen a contraption like it since god knows what they called them.

Two deadbait mounts for minnows came with the collection of spinners. Funnily enough they are called deadbait mounts ?

These were popular around sevenrt to eighty years ago, before fresh sea fish was cheaply available inland so you had to catch your own deadbaits.

Edited by Nicepix
On 03/06/2022 at 11:58, tatsblisters said:

Remember buying a dead bait mount in 1980 in Athlone that had a spike that went down the dead fishes gullet then a clasp that gripped on the fish followed by two setts of trebles on wire traces i have never seen a contraption like it since god knows what they called them.

What you are describing is a rig for fishing a deadbait "sink and draw" or "wobbled" rather than static . Some had little vanes or propellers and were known as spinning flights.

The ironmongery was designed to keep the valuable bait secure enough to withstand repeated casting and retrieving.

As Nicepix says : There was no nipping down the shop to buy convenient  frozen bait. Generally you  caught your own. Or if you were rich   you had a man do it for you.  If you were  very posh you might've bought little   fish preserved in formalin and encased in  celluloid .

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, comanche said:

What you are describing is a rig for fishing a deadbait "sink and draw" or "wobbled" rather than static . Some had little vanes or propellers and were known as spinning flights.

The ironmongery was designed to keep the valuable bait secure enough to withstand repeated casting and retrieving.

As Nicepix says : There was no nipping down the shop to buy convenient  frozen bait. Generally you  caught your own. Or if you were rich   you had a man do it for you.  If you were  very posh you might've bought little   fish preserved in formalin and encased in  celluloid .

That's the one never been able to find one since not in the UK anyway. I caught a few pike on it when fishing the Shannon at Athlone attaching a dead roach to it.

On 03/06/2022 at 11:23, Nicepix said:

These were popular for trout and salmon from the early 20th century. By the end of WW2 the use of the flying trebles diminished and they tended to be a single, larger treble on a mount with interchangeable bodies. There are collectors of these old spinners all over the world and some fetch good money.

I came across my dad’s old gear clearing his house after he died a few years back, a lot of which came from my great uncle, and which included about four baccy tins full of these old spinners. Pretty sure I just binned them. Wish I’d hung onto them now.

• Like 1
On 28/05/2022 at 15:33, Nicepix said:

Everybody these days seems to use soft lures mounted on jig heads. The fish must be sick to death of seeing the same things being put before them. So, when I spotted these online off for little money I pressed the Buy Now button immediately

20220528_130512_resize_43.jpg.a7ad53514f7842e9915caf6208f075ec.jpg

20220528_130531_resize_96.jpg.6dda3c7503ffa5083ff1c3aa4f2c0bcb.jpg

20220528_130522_resize_16.jpg.ce6c7ed1c0902bd132db6b456ce1aa54.jpg

Most of them are Mepps 1, 2 or 3 with a few other makes thrown in. Over 25 useable spinners, 2 minnow dead bait mounts and a couple of very useful boxes for €30. Perch beware!

Bargain! 

Cool boxes, love the spring thing.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, leegreen said:

Bargain! 

Cool boxes, love the spring thing.

Yes, me too. Not seen that arrangment before. Hopefully on Wednesday I will have chance to try them out

• Like 1