Mad craic

Here's a strange one for ye,....anyone ever repaint their fishing rod,I'm going to have a lash at it ....I've an old 7 foot faded spinning rod,I took the old eyes off it and bought replacement eyes,have it sanded ,washed down and cleaned...I have to buy a spray can of primer from the car parts shop and then pick a mad florescent colour for the finish,....this will cost me in or around 30 euros,and the rods worth about a fiver,......makes sense ,doesn't it ?.... looking forward to seeing the end result...lol..,.anyone ever do it?

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

Here's a strange one for ye,....anyone ever repaint their fishing rod,I'm going to have a lash at it ....I've an old 7 foot faded spinning rod,I took the old eyes off it and bought replacement eyes,have it sanded ,washed down and cleaned...I have to buy a spray can of primer from the car parts shop and then pick a mad florescent colour for the finish,....this will cost me in or around 30 euros,and the rods worth about a fiver,......makes sense ,doesn't it ?.... looking forward to seeing the end result...lol..,.anyone ever do it?

Actually yes. I bought a 'spinning rod' at a boot sale for a fiver knowing full well that it wasn't a vintage split cane rod even though the seller insited it was. He was half telling the truth l suppose because though the butt section was cane , the top section was clearly part of an old solid glass rod.  The whole thing had been painted black to disguise the discrepancy.  

I had an old cane fly rod top section in the shed so after  a bit of fiddling with ring spacing  and a ferrule swap l  ended up with a100% split cane spinning rod. Except the butt section was still black and the new tip was wood coloured.  A can of Poundland spray paint sorted the problem and l now have a "Stealth Rod" guaranteed to annoy the vintage tackle purists. 20220527_213149.jpg.156afd440ae0a8fe3907959acf261943.jpg

• Like 1

If it works I might do a decent rod,I've replaced the eyes on a good rod that were damaged and they came out spot on ,so be interested to see how it goes....your rod was obviously worth doing,mine isn't but going to have a lash for the craic

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

If it works I might do a decent rod,I've replaced the eyes on a good rod that were damaged and they came out spot on ,so be interested to see how it goes....your rod was obviously worth doing,mine isn't but going to have a lash for the craic

A lot of old  bamboo rods were finished in thick brown or black laquer that seemed to survive being flexed.  I guess  if you find the right sort of paint that'll bond with a more modern material it'll work.

Fishing should be fun?; go for it!?

Edited by comanche
3 hours ago, Wideboy said:

You could go mad and just wrap it with electrical earth tape, be funky. My mate wraps his rough ground rods with black electrical tape to save the blanks from the harsh environment 

That's too easy,I have to go the tough route and then when it's all done wonder why da fuk I ever bothered lol

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Did you take your lunch though???

If you saw me you'd realise I had too many lunches in my time ,....her timing is impeccable lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...