Hello, looking at getting something in the 10x power for shore birds, open terrain of mountain meadows, and raptors.

I am leaning towards the Nikon MGH 10x42. I compared it with the Zeiss Conquest of the same power and enjoyed both, but the slightly wider FOV was nice.

If I did not go one of these, I would probably try to find something used, like the Nikon EDG 10x42, which is rated very highly on AllBinos. That said, it is discontinued and I would be concerned if it had issues and I was unable to get it serviced.

Thoughts?

I've got the Hawke 10x43. I went into the shop (London Camera Exchange) intending to buy the 8x but preferred the 10x. 

The reason I went with the Hawke was because of several reviews which basically said that, although it's not as good (side by side) as Swarovski, the price difference makes them the better choice overall as the quality is only a tad behind, whereas the price is far less.

I've also got a monocular in 8x.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Neal said:

I've got the Hawke 10x43. I went into the shop (London Camera Exchange) intending to buy the 8x but preferred the 10x. 

The reason I went with the Hawke was because of several reviews which basically said that, although it's not as good (side by side) as Swarovski, the price difference makes them the better choice overall as the quality is only a tad behind, whereas the price is far less.

I've also got a monocular in 8x.

I took a pair of the hawke binoculars back after both eye cups popped off after 3 months, I'd hardly used them, hard to tell from looking down the high street, but I looked through a few pairs of their Nikons and they seemed quality, the cheaper ones being made in China, and the higher priced in Japan, got a £250 credit note from them, the Hawkes seemed reasonable, but would be good to see things in a bit more detail I reckon

• Like 1
9 hours ago, low plains drifter said:

I took a pair of the hawke binoculars back after both eye cups popped off after 3 months, I'd hardly used them, hard to tell from looking down the high street, but I looked through a few pairs of their Nikons and they seemed quality, the cheaper ones being made in China, and the higher priced in Japan, got a £250 credit note from them, the Hawkes seemed reasonable, but would be good to see things in a bit more detail I reckon

I'm pretty sure that it's Hawke who do a lifetime guarantee along the lines of any quibbles and they'll exchange.

Go with this 10X42 it is a better all around configuration. While 10X32 has its merits, lighter easy to carry, the 10X42 can be used under more varied viewing conditions.  I've got a 8X32 and a 10X42 in the Conquest HD line. I've had them both about three years. VERY nice binoculars.

Edited by Vincej
  • 1 month later...
On 25/05/2022 at 19:38, Neal said:

I have Swarovski 7 x 42  bins and they are excellent. Hawke dont come close never mind a tad behind ..I have a Hawke scope and they are good for the price tag but not in same league as Swarovski. 

Everybody that has ever looked through my bins was amazed at the picture quality ?