Watercolour my mate has nearly finished .

26 minutes ago, Gene said:

Looks like a young Burt Reynolds on that painting.

I've always thought Don looked like Bob Dylan.

I always said a young Mayfield like when that pictures was taken had a bit of a young Johnny Cash look about him facially.

4 minutes ago, Gene said:

I can only imagine what amazing song Dylan would have come up with if he'd had read about some of the legendary gamedogs from the 60's and before.

Absolutely,good call that...........both geniuses in their own ways.

In my eyes anyway ?

Edited by gnasher16
13 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I always said a young Mayfield like when that pictures was taken had a bit of a young Johnny Cash look about him facially.

The man in bl....ood stained boots ?

Yokel

5 minutes ago, Gene said:

I have some of the editions of American Gamedog Times and Mayfield in the 80's and 90's made a bit of a fool of himself. I don't think it's fair to judge him then as he clearly had metal health issues at that time.

Aye, I think his love of herb laced cookies pickled his brain a tad! 

Yokel

• Haha 1

Folk either loved or loathed old Don,personally i loved him but yes he lost his mind towards the end but it needs remembering he was one of the only ones of those old timers who money wise actually lived off the game of bulldogs,even when he didnt have any !

To say he was the only man relevant is simply wrong ive heard many people say Danny Burton was the best matcher of bulldogs but Danny himself conceded Don was better....based purely on matching dogs Don was head and shoulders above them all in the most competitive era in history....he matched more dogs than all of his contemporaries showing his first dog in 1959 and his last in 1979 having 103 matches and winning 73.... less forfeits.

When it came to the conditioning and handling of competition bulldogs Don was the king.

Also just out of interest that Swig dog was actually poisoned on the yard of the man who Weldon Stockton sold him to....to say there was some deceitful shit going on with all those old timers back then is an understatement !