Deer deterrent

21 hours ago, wildman said:

Hi guys got roe  on my land ,cant be culled is there any quick n cheap  method  off keeping em away ,eg rag soaked in something  or other  ,cheers 

On anything over the size of small garden ;not really. 

The now unobtainable Reynardine repelled everything, dogs   ,cats, deer, friends ,family, neighbours etc. It would take a lot of rags soaked in stinky stuff to secure the perimeter of a bit of land and they would need to be renewed regularly - labour intensive.

Animals soon become inured to such things and the lure of some tasty food source will trump a few smelly old  socks.

And anyway   Jeyes Fluid and  creosote hardly offer a cheap solution  . Anyone rich enough to consider  using diesel at todays prices could probably afford to employ peasants to patrol the land with sticks on 24 hour basis .

If there was a lazy solution  there would be no need for expensive deer fencing and tree guards. ?‍♀️

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

Ive seen deer in places youd never think theyd get into. Apart from hassling them i dont think you will deter them with jeyes diesel ect. Alot of deer live very urban now doesnt seem to put them off

• Like 1

Maybe folks thought I was kidding about Lion dung. I live right by a zoo and the keepers will let me have any amount of the stuff. It deters a number of unwanted species. Not that we have many Roe in this area so send them up this way please. Jok.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sussex said:

Can I ask why you want to deter them , are they damaging / eating stuff ? ..aRichard Priors  book deer& trees gives some useful tips on deterring deer …

Feed up  of dogs chasing  em ,major  A road near by plus my old beddy  grey can still  run em but cant walk for 2 days after 

42 minutes ago, jok said:

Maybe folks thought I was kidding about Lion dung. I live right by a zoo and the keepers will let me have any amount of the stuff. It deters a number of unwanted species. Not that we have many Roe in this area so send them up this way please. Jok.

Where  about a ya at pal could do with  trying  that  cheers

• Like 2