HH first moult

Hi all, newbie here, my 1 year old male HH has dropped 4 feathers, his flying weight is 1lb 6, I’ve upped his weight to 1lb 8.5, and he’s getting a good varied diet, since I’ve upped his weight he’s gone completely psycho, he’s started to bate every time I approach him, once on the fist he’s fine and eats his food as normal, is this normal behaviour ? I did have mentor but unfortunately due to a family bereavement he’s not very well, Tia 

2 hours ago, Superfurryanimal2 said:

Hi all, newbie here, my 1 year old male HH has dropped 4 feathers, his flying weight is 1lb 6, I’ve upped his weight to 1lb 8.5, and he’s getting a good varied diet, since I’ve upped his weight he’s gone completely psycho, he’s started to bate every time I approach him, once on the fist he’s fine and eats his food as normal, is this normal behaviour ? I did have mentor but unfortunately due to a family bereavement he’s not very well, Tia 

If your moulting him out you don’t need to be going near  him , you shouldn’t realy be moulting him out by feeding him on the fist this could cause you problems with a young hawk as it constantly going see you as food source , any pr hawk will bate away from its owner when it’s at fat weight as they don’t want you , love you , crave your attention like a dog does , once they have food they couldn’t care if you don’t exists , they only want food , if you are moulting it out I sujets you free loft the bird and feed it through a food chute so it’s indirect feeding otherwise you could end up with a vocal bird , ideally it’s better to moult out in a fully closed off avare  with just roof meshed off on half for daylight , , 

what kind of mews set up do you have , ? Stick a picture up of your mews / housing and we can give advice on how best to feed the bird without it seeing you etc , 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As previously said the less contact you have with the hawk the better, also don't bother weighing etc just feed ad lib. Let the hawk reach its top weight and feed a varied diet of good quality food. This is perfectly normal behaviour!

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Elchapo said:

If your moulting him out you don’t need to be going near  him , you shouldn’t realy be moulting him out by feeding him on the fist this could cause you problems with a young hawk as it constantly going see you as food source , any pr hawk will bate away from its owner when it’s at fat weight as they don’t want you , love you , crave your attention like a dog does , once they have food they couldn’t care if you don’t exists , they only want food , if you are moulting it out I sujets you free loft the bird and feed it through a food chute so it’s indirect feeding otherwise you could end up with a vocal bird , ideally it’s better to moult out in a fully closed off avare  with just roof meshed off on half for daylight , , 

what kind of mews set up do you have , ? Stick a picture up of your mews / housing and we can give advice on how best to feed the bird without it seeing you etc , 

Unfortunately I’m unable to free loft him at the moment so he’s tethered in his weathering, thanks for advice much appreciated