You seem to like enginey things. And, addressing you is bound to bring others out of the wood work. So .....

Brush cutter. 2 stroke. Worked great, last year. Hung it up with Fuel Fix laced fuel in it.

This year? Fired it up. Inside ten minutes, it stopped. I restarted it. Lasted a minute. Stopped. Sent it to the man in town. (Last year, he'd completely overhauled it)

Came back as he'd put a new plug in it. And he'd pointed out a hole atop the plugs rubber cover that was likely to get me, if I left it exposed.

Just now, I taped over that hole. Fired her up. Lasted a couple of minutes. But, this time I noticed heat ~ and enough smoke to notice! ~ coming from the back, as if under / behind the pull cord.

Ideas, please? ?

I've got professional qualifications in mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic and aeronautical engineering........but can I get my 2 stroke brush cutter to run at anything more than tickover ? Can I f**k ! ? 

New carb, new plug, new ht lead, new fuel filter and fresh fuel. It's starts first pull and ticks over, give it a rev and it dies. 

I got so pissed off with it I went to Lord Tool hire and payed £30 odd to rent one for two days to clear both my Allotments.

It never missed a beat.

Cheers.

• Haha 2
28 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

Old fuel??

Last Augusts. But, it had that gear in it that's mean't to keep it good for up to three years.

28 minutes ago, Greyman said:

f****d ?

Probably! I've given away my chain saw and hedge trimmer. I fukking Despise petrol engines!

8 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Tool hire

Excellent idea! I can't find a corded electric one. It's mainly to thrash back some brambles I'm killing with chemicals.

3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Last Augusts. But, it had that gear in it that's mean't to keep it good for up to three years.

Probably! I've given away my chain saw and hedge trimmer. I fukking Despise petrol engines!

Excellent idea! I can't find a corded electric one. It's mainly to thrash back some brambles I'm killing with chemicals.

The fuel evaporates off in the carb If left standing for any time and the 2stroke oil goes "gummy" and blocks the jets.

Thats why I fitted a new carb.........didn't help though !

Cheers.

23 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I've got professional qualifications in mechanical, electrical, electronic, hydraulic and aeronautical engineering........but can I get my 2 stroke brush cutter to run at anything more than tickover ? Can I f**k ! ? 

New carb, new plug, new ht lead, new fuel filter and fresh fuel. It's starts first pull and ticks over, give it a rev and it dies. 

I got so pissed off with it I went to Lord Tool hire and payed £30 odd to rent one for two days to clear both my Allotments.

It never missed a beat.

Cheers.

According to a friend who has worked on these for over 40 years it is usually down to the ethanol found in all grades of petrol except the 95 / 98 octane stuff. The ethanol gums up the carb. Causes all sorts of problems.

Use a good dose of carb cleaner several times to clear it and only use high octane petrol. Store the machine fuel tank down to drain the carb between use.

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

You seem to like enginey things. And, addressing you is bound to bring others out of the wood work. So .....

Brush cutter. 2 stroke. Worked great, last year. Hung it up with Fuel Fix laced fuel in it.

This year? Fired it up. Inside ten minutes, it stopped. I restarted it. Lasted a minute. Stopped. Sent it to the man in town. (Last year, he'd completely overhauled it)

Came back as he'd put a new plug in it. And he'd pointed out a hole atop the plugs rubber cover that was likely to get me, if I left it exposed.

Just now, I taped over that hole. Fired her up. Lasted a couple of minutes. But, this time I noticed heat ~ and enough smoke to notice! ~ coming from the back, as if under / behind the pull cord.

Ideas, please? ?

Chids’ dead baby, Chids’ dead 

Edited by mushroom
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

It never missed a beat.

Cheers.

Very similar, I have general engineering as my degree (yes I know, please don’t) so all of the above with no real substance. Yet I am very good mechanically, in my head. In practice, the cnut don’t work ?

If you don't run 2 strokes flat out they'll pass unburnt oil and fuel through the exhaust. This gums up the spark arrester and can cause all sorts of issues according to the amount of blockage. Take the exhaust off and remove the arrester. Some have a 'top hat' design and some just a piece of gauze. Play a blow torch on it to burn the crap off.

• Like 1

The ethanol in the lower octane petrol can block the fuel line which can also prevent the motor from revving. You can buy replacement carbs and fuel lines very cheaply from China via ebay. It is often cheaper and easier to change the carb than pay to have it stripped it and cleaned.

The only problem I get with Brush cutters/ Strimmers is the fuel lines the grummet that fits in the fuel tank perishes and leaks which you then get smoke as it leaks on to hot parts. Easy to fit and cheap.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Arry said:

the grummet that fits in the fuel tank perishes and leaks which you then get smoke as it leaks on to hot parts.

:icon_eek: Now, That's fukking interesting, Arry! When my mate dropped the accursed thing back, yesterday? As I was standing it back against its wall, he mildly pointed at the spot, around there, and said something about standing it another way, as it was leaking a pinch of fuel there!

Of course, I'm totally distracted, by then, and gave it no more thought!

I'll be back down there, presently. Have a Fukking Good search around that bit. And see if I can find this filter in the exhaust too :hmm:

Be fukking great, if I could Save some petrol stinking thing around here, for once!