Betula pendula (silver birch)

Just brought two of these to put in the back garden man at garden centre said they are great for small ish gardens ? 

thought I’d plant on the fence line to block out nose ointments cctv

Will they f**k my lawn up? Man also said can be put into pots and kept small but still create a screen during the summer months. 

strait in the ground ? Or in a extra large container? I like the thought of the large container as it can be moved around and won’t grow to 100 ft tall! I’m not against putting strait into ground but I put a lot of work into my lawn and it’s lush as feck and don’t want roots making it bumpy ect 

Anyone with any Knowledge on birches ?

34 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Just brought two of these to put in the back garden man at garden centre said they are great for small ish gardens ? 

Will they f**k my lawn up? Man also said can be put into pots and kept small but still create a screen during the summer months. 

strait in the ground ? Or in a extra large container? I like the thought of the large container as it can be moved around and won’t grow to 100 ft tall! I’m not against putting strait into ground but I put a lot of work into my lawn and it’s lush as feck and don’t want roots making it bumpy ect 

Can make wine is about all I know ?

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

i dont know much.....

but they grow quick.....we had two in our back garden when we moved in.....3 foot high ....trunk about as thick as your thumb......they are now as tall as the house 19 year later

• Like 1

Yep. Know a bit. Just had 5 of my birch trees taken out to ground level. They were about 16 inch diameter. Roots go a hell of a long way and do disrupt anything round them. Made good logs though. Jok.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Horrible greenfly ridden b*****ds that are tw@s to rootball on our black soil, did you not fancy a nice flowering tree or something? 

Yeah I did to be fair ? going to put them in pots and keep them small but big enough block out the neighbour. 

1 hour ago, gnipper said:

Horrible greenfly ridden b*****ds that are tw@s to rootball on our black soil, did you not fancy a nice flowering tree or something? 

must admit i fancy doing that thing with apple and pears where they train the branches along wires next to a wall or fence ...makes them easy to prune and collect fruit...plus both have great blossom in spring 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Yeah I did to be fair ? going to put them in pots and keep them small but big enough block out the neighbour. 

Good luck. Birch are quite shallow rooted so probably would raise your lawn etc. If I were going for a birch I'd choose a nice betula jacquemontii or a nigra. 

• Thanks 1